My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Strings of Murder

Strings of Murder by Oscar de Muriel.  Book 2 of 2016.

Paperback: 406 pages
Publisher: Michael Joseph (March 31, 2015)
ISBN-10: 071817982X








A spellbinding concoction of crime, history and horror - perfect for fans of Sherlock Holmes and Jonathan Creek. The First Case for Frey & McGray. Edinburgh, 1888. A violinist is murdered in his home. The dead virtuoso's maid swears she heard three musicians playing in the night. But with only one body in the locked practice room - and no way in or out - the case makes no sense. Fearing a national panic over another Ripper, Scotland Yard sends Inspector Ian Frey to investigate under the cover of a fake department specializing in the occult. However, Frey's new boss, Detective 'Nine-Nails' McGray, actually believes in such supernatural nonsense. McGray's tragic past has driven him to superstition, but even Frey must admit that this case seems beyond reason. And once someone loses all reason, who knows what they will lose next... * * * 'This is wonderful. A brilliant, moving, clever, lyrical book - I loved it. Oscar de Muriel is going to be a name to watch.' Manda Scott 'A great cop double-act ... It's the pairing of the upright Frey and the unorthodox McGray that notches up the stars for this book. Like de Muriel, they're going places.' Sunday Sport 'One of the best debuts so far this year - a brilliant mix of horror, history, and humour. Genuinely riveting ... with plenty of twists, this will keep you turning the pages. It's clever, occasionally frightening and superbly written - The Strings Of Murder is everything you need in a mystery thriller.' Crime Review

Once again I find myself across the pond, as I do more often then not.  This time the story takes place in Scotland.  The book is filled with murders but also has a light side to it with bits of sarcastic humor.

The pairing of a most UNlikely pair of detectives.. one from London and one from Scotland, each thinking the other "inferior" for being English or Scotch rather then because of how well they do their jobs.

The bickering is humorous but not to the degree of thinking it's to funny for the topic of murder.

I enjoyed Strings of Murder , but a bit disappointed that a sequel is out but not in "book form"

I am finding quite a few very enjoyable books.  Mainly because they are making their characters interesting.  Some have medical issues, some marriage issues, some mental issues... but no matter what the character is like, they seem to make me want to know them more and read more mysteries involving them.

A good start to the new year...

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I think you're now the expert on books set in Victorian times. You've read so many that you ought to make a list for people who like those books. LOL!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home