My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Fatal Enquiry

Fatal Enquiry by Will Thomas.

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Minotaur Books (April 28, 2015)
ISBN-10: 1250068509

 

 

From Booklist

Private-enquiry agent Cyrus Barker and his apprentice, Thomas Llewelyn (The Black Hand, 2011), are drawn into a diabolical cat-and-mouse game when Barker’s arch-nemesis, Sebastian Nightwine, returns to London under diplomatic protection. Although he’s warned away by Scotland Yard, Barker doesn’t consider complying; he’s certain that Nightwine murdered his brother years ago. Now Nightwine plants a witness who fingers Barker for a wealthy businessman’s murder. Barker and Llewelyn go underground to avoid arrest, leading readers on a tour of the city’s hideaways. When Nightwine draws first blood, Barker becomes more determined to orchestrate a final confrontation before his adversary can close his mysterious government deal and escape. Like Sherlock Holmes, Barker stays a step ahead of both criminals and coppers, but his methods rely on networking both underworld and society contacts, which treats readers to the full range of experiences in Victorian London. Well crafted and immersive, this a great addition to the to-be-read stacks of Thomas’ fans, as well as fans of Alex Grecian and Anne Perry. --Christine Tran

It seems I keep finding these  new (to me) detectives and they are all in  London! 

I enjoyed this pair of Barker and Llewelyn.  They quite remind me of Holmes and Watson.  However, in this case each holds their own when it comes to danger and detectiing.

The villain in this book, Nightwine, if real, would be right up there with Jack the Ripper for intensity.  Nice guy.. not!  I find myself wondering how someone can come up with such ideas and gore and torture when it's not take from actual cases... but then again maybe it did!

I have one other book by this author, using the same protagonists on my wish list that I think I will get one day, since this book caught my attention so well.

The above review, at the end, mentions another author I have read Alex Grecian, who's stories I have also enjoyed. If you like detective stories this is an author  you might enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

'Another' Victorian mystery series? Heavens above, where do you find them all? LOL!!!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home