My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Fifth Heart

The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons.

Hardcover: 624 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company; First Edition edition (March 24, 2015)
ISBN-10: 031619882X

5heart

In 1893, Sherlock Holmes and Henry James come to America together to solve the mystery of the 1885 death of Clover Adams, wife of the esteemed historian Henry Adams--member of the Adams family that has given the United States two Presidents. Clover's suicide appears to be more than it at first seemed; the suspected foul play may involve matters of national importance.
Holmes is currently on his Great Hiatus--his three-year absence after Reichenbach Falls during which time the people of London believe him to be deceased. Holmes has faked his own death because, through his powers of ratiocination, the great detective has come to the conclusion that he is a fictional character.
This leads to serious complications for James--for if his esteemed fellow investigator is merely a work of fiction, what does that make him? And what can the master storyteller do to fight against the sinister power -- possibly named Moriarty -- that may or may not be controlling them from the shadows?

Hooray! Dan Simmons has done it again!  I know Dan Simmons has many books out, many of which are not to my topic liking, but when he does one that suits me.. he's fantastic!  I've read his book Drood (over 600 pgs ) twice because I like it so much.. now I can add The Fifth Heart!

He is a master at taking real characters, mixing them with fictional character adding great descriptions of time and places and come up with a really good book to read.

This time his main character is "fictional, Sherlock Holmes".. or is he fictional?

It takes place in the United States (I prefer stories in the British Isles) and uses many historical real characters. 

On the day that James decides he will commit suicide he meets Sherlock and Sherlock basically turns him, for all intent and purposes, into "Watson" (side kick), and in turn saves his life.

I was running through this books when I was due to have company and then go away for a week and so the last 140 pages I just finished today.

If you like books that use fictional and real characters along with a good story... this book fits the bill!

I'll keep this book along side of Drood, for a future reread!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I'm so thrilled that his new book is so good. I'll definitely add that to my 'get at some stage' list. Is it suitable for RIP? I want to read The Abominable too. And maybe Drood again. lol!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home