My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 04, 2015

The Bedlam Detective

The Bedlam Detective by Stephen Gallagher.

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Broadway Books (February 5, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0307406652

  Amazon Review

From a basement office in London’s notorious Bethlehem Hospital, former policeman and Pinkerton agent Sebastian Becker is sent to interview Sir Owain Lancaster at his country estate. They wealthy industrialist returned alone from a disastrous scientific adventure in the Amazon, claiming that wild beasts killed his family and colleagues. He tells Becker that the same dark creatures have followed him home and are responsible for the deaths of two local girls and rumors of beasts on the moor. But while madmen may see monsters, some monsters hide in plain sight.

3 for 3 good reads so far for 2015 !

Once more I find a mystery that occurs in England.  Most of course are in old London.  This one was another quick read, probably because it's not a long book to begin with lol.

The main characters were well flushed out and interesting enough that you wanted to know the conclusion all through the book.   When I first read the "review" and saw "beast on the moor" of course my mind went to Conan Doyle and The Hound of the Baskerville's... but truly it is nothing like it!

I totally enjoy mysteries.  The more twists and turns the better !  And of course I seem to enjoy them most of all when they take place in England or Scotland or Ireland... not sure why..with all the murders I read about over there one wonders why one would still want to go and visit those places! lol.

Sebastian Becker was a very good character and throughout the whole book you wonder if Sir Owain is really a lunatic or not! 

All in all.. a good mystery and a good read.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Ooh, this looks good, Pat. I hope my library has it. Interesting that you and I both thought about Sherlock Holmes and it's nothing like it (you say!) lol Good review. You've started the year well :-)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

My mind swayed towards "The House of the Baskerville's", too, and also, for some reason, Edgar Allen Poe. Don't ask me why re the latter.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home