My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Others

lavinia-portraitRIP92751_zps275696ba[2]  

Book 2 for RIP…

 

Others by James Herbert.

Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Forge Books;(October 14, 1999)
ISBN-10: 0312872933

others_zps9acd11cc[1]

Amazon.com Review

Author of such classic chilling tales as The Fog and The Rats, Britain's foremost horror master James Herbert now cleverly transcends the boundaries of detective fiction and the supernatural for Others, a book that begins in the bowels of Hell. In this fiery underworld we meet a former Hollywood movie star, thrust there for a lifetime of depravity. But now this damned soul is given one more shot at redemption, a chance to live again as a human. Begging for a new judgment, he is sent back to earth, without memory of his past life or death. However, his new existence will be a wretched one, living in the body of Nicholas Dismas, a brilliant and tender-hearted private investigator sadly afflicted with horrendous physical deformities. Shunned by strangers, Nicholas struggles not only with his malformed body, but also with a troubling sense of self. Staring in the mirror, other eyes stare back, "too blurred for recognition. That ill-defined but handsome countenance had hinted at something too evasive to remember properly, too vague to focus upon, yet still filled me with a strange, elusive regret." It isn't until Dismas takes on a seemingly run-of-the-mill missing person's investigation that he begins to understand the origins of his own hellish identity.

Others is a dark exploration into the psyche of the eternal outsider, a tormented freak in a cruel society. Gory, but brilliantly conceived, Herbert will leave you feeling haunted long after reading his final words. --Naomi Gesinger

The last book I read by James Herbert was The Secrets of Crickley Hall.. and I enjoyed that one very much..  Now comes   “Others”.  ..and I have to say, once again, I enjoyed Mr. Herbert’s writing.

In this book he came up with such an unexpected protagonist (Nicholas Dismas) that I wasn’t sure in the beginning where this was going.  But he was so unexpected and unusual that he alone held my interest.

The first half of the book was good.

The second half was one of those when each time you sat down you grabbed the book to read “at least one chapter”… and with each chapter it picked up speed!

Most all books have “good and evil” in them… and the “evil” in this book was really disgusting!  ..which only means:  James Herbert has one heck of an imagination!!  I was glad he extended the book by letting me know why and how the whole thing came about .  I know I wouldn’t have been happy not knowing lol.

This is surely a read for RIP!  (and so is The Secrets of Crickley Hall, should you come across a copy)

6 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Well, you win the award for the first person to add a book to my wish list with their RIP review this year! Sorry there's no cash prize. :P
And lol--why am I not surprised that you finished your "peril" already? :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It's been years since I read a James Herbert book, so long I can't even remember what it was. LOL! Glad you liked this, Pat, I seem to recall he's an author that writes very scary books!

5:58 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I love it when they take the time to explain all the particulars :D I don't things unanswered...lol

5:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a great review. I've read The Secret of Crickley Hall and liked it very much, then this year I read The Rats (his first novel) and it was amazing as well. Pretty disturbing too. I must add this one to my TBR.

10:58 AM  
Blogger samantha.1020 said...

Yay! Another new author to try thanks to this challenge :) I love a good creepy read so I shall add this one to my never-ending TBR list!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Others. My library had it, but I wasn't in the mood for it, surprisingly. Maybe I'll try to find the Secrets of Crickley Hall instead, or The Rats. I know I've read some Herbert, though it was many years ago. I'm thrilled you are enjoying him now!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home