My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Xanth by Two

onceup8200_zps6fc5daa0[1]

I read this book for Once Upon a Time..

 

Xanth by Two by Piers Anthony (two complete books in one)

Series: Xanth Novels
Paperback: 528 pages
Publisher: Tor Books (February 16, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0765324156

(cover art: Darrel K Sweet)

 xanth_zps4ba1d7c4[1]

Demons Don’t Dream begins a Xanth sequence as young adventures play for the highest stakes of all: the future of Xanth--and of Earth as well!
Dug thought that the disk he got from his friend was just a fantasy game.  He didn't particularly like fantasy games, but he'd made a bet with Ed, and a bet's a bet.  So he loaded the game and…
Within moments he had left Mundania and was standing in a forest glade in Xanth, with his Companion in Adventure Nada Naga -- a beautiful Princess who just happened to be a shape-changing serpent.  For a long time Dug thought that this was just an incredibly convincing virtual world.  Then he began to believe in Magic.  Which was a good thing, because the prize in this Game is the Power of Magic in Xanth.
In the next installment, Harpy Thyme, Gloha must brave a demoness and snow dragons, malevolent clouds and musical volcanoes, on a wild odyssey that takes her not only across the length and breadth of Xanth, but on journeys through Time, Space, and the perilous realms of Madness and Mundanity.

Many years ago I read a number of Piers Anthony’s Xanth books but along the way I guess I got to busy with family and stopped reading for a long time.

I found this book in a thrift store and decided it would be good for OUaT and grabbed it up.

Some might say that Piers Anthony is a genius.  Right from the beginning his books about Xanth, are full of “puns”.  After my first few books I wondered how he could possibly keep up the puns and keep finding new ones!  So, although years (eons?) have passed I found myself  rolling my eyes to the heavens as he once again managed to write, not just a story, but a game, using as many puns at before.  (re: a Humble Pie bush grew pies that made you humble if you ate it)

The first story Demons Don’t Dream was very original in that instead of just a story of someone (and some things) that live in Xanth having a story, he took someone from Mundania (that would be us) and brought them into his book via a game they had to play.

One thing I would say is that if you  have never read any Xanth books you wouldn’t enjoy this book because  knowing about Xanth and it’s magic's  would leave you wondering just what was going on.  But if you  have read some and want a trip back in time this would be a good book to read.

Unfortunately even reading this one book took me a very long time.. I was/ am dealing with much depression and anxiety and the passing of the love of my life, BooBoo Kitty.  So I have to admit that the book didn’t have enough of “something” to keep my mind off of other matters and so I didn’t jump back to the book each time I sat down.  But please know it was not the fault of the Author or the book.

5 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I haven't read any Xanth books but this sounds interesting. You're always in my thoughts my friend <3

6:12 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I've heard of the author but don't think I've read anything by him as far as I know.

You take care. *Hugs* from your sis,

6:34 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have never read Piers Anthony before. I really should!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I"m really sorry to hear about your precious Boo Boo Kitty. From reading your blog all these years I know how special the kitty was to you. Hugs to you Pat and I hope you will find a reason to smile and feel better soon but I know it takes time after we have lost something so dear to us.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Oh no, so sorry to read about your cat - one of my dogs died last year and I literally could not stop crying! It's so sad, they're your family.
It's a pity that this book didn't quite hold your attention.
Lynn :)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home