My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 26, 2013

R.I.P. VIII

 RIP8main300_zps3f26c546[1]

Once again it’s time for R.I.P. !!  Every year at this time I thank Carl for hosting RIP and for convincing me to join in many years ago!

(Never read Gothic or Victorian before RIP.

Never read Murder and Mayhem before RIP.

Never read anything but Fantasy!.. wow.. look at me now!)

So.. it’s all Carl’s fault that I now have over 130 books in my TBR pile!!

But back to  RIP   In Carl’s own words:

September 1st is right around the corner. It is time to begin.

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above. That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.

As time has wound on I’ve honed this event down to two simple rules:

1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

So.. are you ready??……….

I  always just choose to commit to one book.

 rip8peril3rd_zpse0c517c1[1]

(That way there’s no real pressure and I always read quite a bit more before RIP is over.)

Carl enjoys reading our lists and so I am happy to provide some of the books that I will be choosing from:

I have Agatha Christie’s Murder Manor, and Alex Grecian’s Black Country.  I also have Seth Linder’s Ripper Diary and James Herbert’s Others. Then there’s S.J. Watson’s Before I go to Sleep and Diane Setterfield’s Bellman and Black.

rip1_zps7f8cd2f1[1]

Also in the pile is Peter May’s Blackhouse, David Bell’s Hiding Place & Cemetery Girl.  Plus Rachel Hore’s A Place of Secrets and an older book by Sidney Kirkpatrick called A Cast of Killers.

rip2_zps457a04c8[1]

Last of the books that I took photo’s of are: Ian McEwan’s Atonement, Daphnie du Mauier’s Echo’s from the Macabre, Joe Hill’s 20th Century Ghosts, Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose and lastly Patricia Cornwell’s Book of the Dead.

rip3_zps6d6b5ba6[1]

Anyone want to guess which book I will read first??…………….

rrip_zps5150a7f8[1]

(good guess!)

 

I hope everyone joins in and reads lots of great books!

Happy RIP everyone!

readhis33_zps695c6d28[1]

12 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Love the graveyard photo and the sentiment. LOL!

I was already reading loads of creepy stuff so I can't blame Carl for anything. *Is miffed*

Some great books there, Pat. And I know how much you've been looking forward to starting that Diane Setterfield. Can't wait to see what else you read, Sis!

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

I love, love Agatha Christie and I'm glad to see her in your reading pile. I love RIP and so glad I'm taking part this year too. It's great to discover new blogs as well.

12:35 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you have your work AND fun, cut out for you...!!!! I know how much you love RIP...And here it is, again! Time is rushing by.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favorite challenge of the year and I cannot wait to read Bellman and Black!

4:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bella: no matter how many books I read I always have a ton left over!

Naomi: lol.. yes this is a good reading time..just wish there was cool weather to go along with it! lol

figandthistle: did you read her other book, The Thirteenth Tale?

4:19 PM  
Blogger samantha.1020 said...

I read Before I Go to Sleep a few years back and really enjoyed it! Anything by Agatha Christie or Daphne du Maurier is bound to be good :) I hope you have fun and get lots of books read!

6:49 PM  
Blogger TracyK said...

You have a great set of books lined up and I will be watching for your reviews. Did you read The Thirteenth Tale by Setterfield (and like it?). I have it, and have not read it yet. I would like to read The Blackhouse too. There is just not enough time.

11:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tracy: oh yes I've read the Thirteenth Tale 3 times.! Very creepy/ spookey/ etc I do hope her new book is as good!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Pat, what a great selection of books this year! I've been seeing Bellman and Black on so many lists....but I have to read the first one, still! That Daphne Du Maurier book looks so interesting (which means I really need to get my hands on it now, I didn't know it existed!!!) and I've heard the 20th Century Ghosts is really good. AT least I have read one, The Name of the Rose, many years ago - it is very, very good. I just bought Black House too. Have to say the David Bells books look interesting too......and I almost picked up a James Herbert tonight, The Dark, which is supposed to be creepy. I haven't read The Others, so I hope you do and review it! lol

Enjoy your books, Pat, it's a lovely horror selection.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I can't wait for the new Setterfield!! I pre-ordered it. I don't really blog any more, so didn't luck into an ARC. :( Oh, well, I am still excited!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

A tantalizing group of books you have there! Every year you make me smile knowing that you are one of the converts, the whole purpose of me wanting to share this kind of reading.

I hope to get back to Bellman and Black this weekend before starting on The Historian. As much as I'm enjoying it everything was dropped for the new Louise Penny on Tuesday, which I finished in the wee hours this morning.

Thanks for being such a champion of these events that I host and for always introducing me to interesting book because of them.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about Christie too--still deciding what book. And I love Rebecca so I'm always intrigued by other du Maurier books--looking forward to your thoughts!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home