My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mo’ Books

So..

I found Roosevelt’s Secret War at the used book store.. 1.00.

Despite all that has already been written on Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Joseph Persico has uncovered a hitherto overlooked dimension of FDR's wartime leadership: his involvement in intelligence and espionage operations.
Roosevelt's Secret War is crowded with remarkable revelations:
-FDR wanted to bomb Tokyo before Pearl Harbor
-A defector from Hitler's inner circle reported directly to the Oval Office
-Roosevelt knew before any other world leader of Hitler's plan to invade Russia
-Roosevelt and Churchill concealed a disaster costing hundreds of British soldiers' lives in order to protect Ultra, the British codebreaking secret
-An unwitting Japanese diplomat provided the President with a direct pipeline into Hitler's councils

Also found Five Sisters there… 1.00.  I don’t know who the Langhorn’s are, but then I didn’t know of the Mitford’s when I read their story.. the blub on the cover has the same sort of feeling .. “discovery” of names I’ve missed.  I hope it’s as interesting as the Mitford’s was.

Book Description Five Sisters:

The beautiful Langhorne sisters lived at the pinnacle of society from the end of the Civil War through the Second World War. Born in Virginia to a family impoverished by the Civil War, Lizzie, Irene, Nancy, Phyllis, and Nora eventually made their way across two continents, leaving rich husbands, fame, adoration, and scandal in their wake.

At the center of the story is Nancy, who married Waldorf Astor, one of the richest men in the world. Heroic, hilarious, magnetically charming, and a bully, Nancy became Britain's first female MP. The beautiful Irene married Charles Dana Gibson and was the model for the Gibson Girl. Phyllis, the author's grandmother, married a famous economist, one of the architects of modern Europe. Author James Fox draws on the sisters' unpublished correspondence to construct an intimate and sweeping account of five extraordinary women at the highest reaches of society.

newold_zpsfd6fd73c[1]

Then from Amazon came The Black Country (boy I have a chit-load of books for RIP now!)

Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad returns, in the stunning new historical thriller from the author of the acclaimed national bestseller The Yard.
The British Midlands. It’s called the “Black Country” for a reason. Bad things happen there.
When members of a prominent family disappear from a coal-mining village—and a human eyeball is discovered in a bird’s nest—the local constable sends for help from Scotland Yard’s new Murder Squad. Fresh off the grisly 1889 murders of The Yard, Inspector Walter Day and Sergeant Nevil Hammersmith respond, but they have no idea what they’re about to get into. The villagers have intense, intertwined histories. Everybody bears a secret. Superstitions abound. And the village itself is slowly sinking into the mines beneath it.
Not even the arrival of forensics pioneer Dr. Bernard Kingsley seems to help. In fact, the more the three of them investigate, the more they realize they may never be allowed to leave. . .

and The Tutor’s Daughter.   I thought it was nice of Amazon to send them to me!  …oh, but then I noticed they billed my charge account… dang it all!

Emma Smallwood, determined to help her widowed father regain his spirits when his academy fails, agrees to travel with him to the distant Cornwall coast, to the cliff-top manor of a baronet and his four sons. But after they arrive and begin teaching the younger boys, mysterious things begin to happen and danger mounts. Who does Emma hear playing the pianoforte, only to find the music room empty? Who sneaks into her room at night? Who rips a page from her journal, only to return it with a chilling illustration?
The baronet's older sons, Phillip and Henry, wrestle with problems--and secrets--of their own. They both remember Emma Smallwood from their days at her father's academy. She had been an awkward, studious girl. But now one of them finds himself unexpectedly drawn to her.
When the suspicious acts escalate, can the clever tutor's daughter figure out which brother to blame...and which brother to trust with her heart?

new_zps2b42b1ef[1]

I wish I was one of those people who could read more than one book at a time!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

LOL--and I wish I was one of those people who could make myself just read one book at a time! :)

Looks like a wonderful, and varied, little pile of books to add to the old TBR mountain!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I've loved both covers for the Alex Grecian books. Should actually read the first one at some point. Glad the RIP books are a'piling up. :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: the other book "The Yard" was quite good so I thought I'd try his second book :o)

1:22 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You have a delectable feast ahead of you...Lots of Goodies, my dear!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I own that Langhorn sisters book too. Will get to it one of these days.

6:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I hope they are all good reads Naomi!

I can't believe we both have that book lol...the sisterhood grows and grows lol

7:01 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I emailed you the weird story about I came to have that book...lol

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home