My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Again?!!!

I really have to slap my face!   I’ve GOT to learn that just because a book is only ONE DOLLAR, doesn’t mean that I have to buy it or that I will actually get around to reading it! 

When Will I Learn?????

I actually went to a book store to bring some used paperbacks to them.  I only get about 1.00 a book but it’s the only place that does it.. and paperbacks only. (and we all know I read mostly hardbacks!)

Anyway…….

The bookstore actually has two buildings.  One is the main bookstore, the other is a children's bookstore downstairs and used books upstairs.  I walk into the store to find things a mess!  They are moving the main store downstairs where children's store is and children's store upstairs. (they will incorporated the used books with the “main store” part.

So they want to get rid of the “bargain books”.  *sigh* it’s all I can afford at that store but I do go there pretty regular. 

Anyway….

The bargain books are on sale for ONE DOLLAR each no matter what the price!

So.. I brought THEM 6 paperbacks and I came home with 2 hardbacks and one huge paperback (Elizabeth, the Queen).

Geez.. will I ever read these?? I have no idea!  I think I can count on “Dear Mrs. Kennedy” because it’s a small book with letters written to Mrs. Kennedy while she was in the Whitehouse.

newbooks_zps24362b75[1]

… and then in the mail came the one book I had ordered some time ago.  Yet, another book on the Hollywood Blacklist.  This will make about 4 books in all that I’ve read on the subject.  The different people who are in each book have different ways they survived the blacklist and so it makes it compelling to keep reading about it. I think I find reading them interesting because I have the faintest memory of seeing McCarthy harassing some of the celebrities on the television!

This one talks about some celebrities such as: Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Preminger, Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester… the book is only 230 pages so I am guessing it’s not really detailed. But I got it anyway.

newbooks2_zpsc7517733[1]

2 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That last book that includes Elsa Lanchester and Charles Laughton sounds of interest to me....Elsa Lanchester joined Theatre West in the 1970's and was very active there in one particular project---and I met Laughten around 1962---he was close to Taft Schreiber, who was a Vice President at Revue Studios--Part of Universal, which then became Universal only. I assumed from that that they were not effected badly by the Blacklist....I am going to look for that book.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Well it's really hard to pass up a book for a $1. I went to a used library book sale last Saturday and came home with 9 of these bargains myself!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home