My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Age in the Movies

Murder She Said: Agatha Christie : 1961

t13179_zps25087683[1] 

Starring Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple.

rutherfordmarple_zps11eb7e88[1]

I can hear you now… Margaret who????   Ah yes , well Margaret Rutherford began her movie career in 1936!  My brother was born in 1939… and he loved Margaret Rutherford movies! 

Although she became most famous for her Agatha Christie movie Margaret Rutherford actually was in 56 movies!

I find myself wondering why more young people don’t watch  Turner Classic Movies… They certainly would be movies never seen by most of them with all “new” actors and actresses to discover. 

I also have noticed (for many years now) how the British don’t “banish” their elderly actors but use them for as long as they are willing to work.  I think some of that is because the British have more love for the theater than Americans do.  Therefore they don’t feel “banished” from acting when they are not in front of a camera.  They simply go on stage!

Strangely enough I recently saw an interview with Maggie Smith (who rarely does interviews)  she was talking about her latest movie.  She was asked why she didn’t do more in America and she said:  “I scare America.  America doesn’t do old”.    .. and she’s right.   It’s a sad thing but I find it to be true.  Americans don’t honor their elderly.  They don’t even seem to like them very much.  And the elderly  (who can afford it) try to look young again, so that they are accepted.

And yet.. even before I found myself in the position of being “old”, I had found that I really enjoyed movies that had “old people” in them.   Those movies always had a really good story.  It’s true there weren’t a lot of chase scenes or special effects.. but the stories are always outstanding… always.

I hope I don’t feel this way because I have become old.  I don’t think that is it…  I think as far as movies go… that America just doesn’t get it.  … and that makes me sad.  I wish more people would watch the “old movies”.  They would get to see great acting and fantastic stories that, although they are old, would be new to them.

Why don’t you try it sometime?  You might enjoy it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I used to love watching Margaret Rutherford's films. Such a natural commedian (commedienne? not sure what you're supposed to say these days) that she made you laugh and laugh with just an expression.

I suppose it is better for older actors in the UK, but really, it still is not fantastic. You get a drama series come on and older characters are few and far between really. And newscasters? Plenty of old guys... *no* older women at all. By older I mean over 50. It's shameful and doesn't represent society as it really is at all.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I love, love, love watching old movies ;) I generally enjoy classics more than newer films.

8:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm so with you Pat! I LOVE old movies and whenever I just want to watch something and don't know what, I always turn on TCM. I don't know why we don't appreciate our older actors either. It's truly ashame. The US seems to be so obsessed with youth and "traditional" beauty which serves nothing but to make people who don't fit into that criteria have issues. really sad. Plus, newer movies rarely tell "stories" as well as older movies do.

9:10 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

As you know, I agree with you 150%!
Back in the Studio System days here in America, our older actors were revered, and were used in films ALL the time....Of course, the stories were about Family's and Generations of people, so people of a certain age fit into those films...Off hand, I think of Dame May Whitty as a perfect example of an actress who worked well into her 80's....but there were many many more...Mae Robson, Edna Mae Oliver, Thomas Mitchell, Charles Laughten, Harry Davenport, etc., etc and so on....
Part of the problem here now is that everyone is getting plastic surgery and or botox or silicone or whatever, so they don't look "old" anymore....They completely erase who they are....Sad, Sad, Sad.
The whole attitude towards actors in England has always been different, anyway. There are no parts in films that are too small---everyone plays in everything and is the "lead" sometimes and is a "supporting" actor at other times....We may have once done "old" in this country, but Maggie Smith is right....We sure don't do it now.
As to TCM...It is a True treasure!!!! Thank God for it and for Robert Osborne, too!!

9:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: It's hard to believe that the females in acting go to such extremes with face lifts to "keep working" ..what is it that keeps them from not being able to accept getting old? trust me, it's not fun, but if it helps so very much to have those lifts to "feel younger" then I guess we all need it done!

Becky: you are among a handful of people who can appreciate all ages. and the talent that goes with it.

Chris: Part of issues with the elderly (even not in movies) is if you don't see them then they don't exist. If you think that's sad now... wait until you are among the elderly. I guess that's really what it (looking younger) is all about.. not disappearing, not being cared about, not being loved but only tolerated. Somehow many Brits accept age better? Live life better? whatever they do I want some of it!

Naomi: "back in the day" more movies were made that had parts for older people. Edna Mae Oliver did well in Dickens movies (among others)..Charles Laughton was often the older King ..and Harry Davenport! oh!!! he was supposed to be my father!!! I adored him!!!!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Margaret Rutherford is in one of my favorite movies of all time, the 1952 (I think) version of The Importance of Being Earnest. I had no idea she played Marple. We saw her in some other movie recently...Blithe Spirit? I'm not sure if that was it or not, but she was a lot of fun in it, as she is in Earnest.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home