My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Stealing a Meme from Chris…

I HAVE BEEN…………

Writing: Very little. I write tidbits on facebook, and short posts on my blog. I did write a 2 page letter recently, and ya know what? When I put it in an envelope, addressed and stamped it, I found myself looking at it and remembering when I used to love writing letters! I miss that. But mostly I miss having happy things to write about in those letters. Back then all I wanted to do was to make a few people laugh. It made my whole world happy.

Reading: Well, at least that’s something I still do. I recently read 3 large books about Eleanor Roosevelt and one with Franklin. It made me think back to school days. I never would have read them back then. I guess it’s true that we are never too old to learn.

Soon I will be reading some fantasy books for Once Upon a Time challenge that Carl hosts.. that’s always fun. And of course I read blogs and other tidbits on facebook.

Oh and speaking of Carl! . He did a review of a short story called The Sounds of Old Earth.. (http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/the-sounds-of-old-earth/) Now, mind you.. I don’t read sci fi (this was sci fi) and I don’t particularly like short stories (this is a short story)..but I found myself clicking his link to read it and it has to be one of the best things I’ve read in a long time! I cried more than once. I think because I could relate (in a different way) to feelings being told about in the story. Do yourself a favor and click on my link and read it.

Listening: It seems almost wrong to say that I never listen to the radio anymore. Considering I played in a R&R band when I was young and when in California I had a favorite radio talk program I always listened to, it just seems wrong. I keep saying I want to try listening to an audio book but I cannot sit and not have a book in my hand and I do so little driving (5 minutes to the grocery store and back or to a doctor and back) that I’d never get thru a whole book! So probably the only listening I do is when someone talks to me… yeah I know, pretty sad.

Watching: At the moment there is “doodoo” on television but soon Dancing with the Stars will be back on and hopefully new episodes of Castle to follow it! I miss Downton Abbey and it only went off 2 weeks ago…the new episodes can’t come quick enough!

I do still watch some NCIS and for a while I got hooked on the Military channel when it showed a whole lot on WWII and Hitler etc. Other than that it’s shows like Dateline and 48 hours.

Looking: Well now… I do look outside a lot to see if there’s any critters around that I can take photo’s of. That and maybe Sunsets or Sunrises. I wish I could get to more places to take photo’s, like maybe a zoo or taking celebs pics at a show (I miss the shows!) but my car is not something I would rely on to go out of town so… there lies a big part of my problem for picture taking..

Learning: I guess we could go back to the Eleanor Roosevelt books because I did learn a lot about her and the many things she got started and accomplished.

Also learning about what it’s like growing old. Can’t say it’s a joy though. Heh.

Feeling: Ah well..I’ve been thru a lot of anxiety and stress and depression recently. So much so that I thought I was going off the deep end. It was scary. I seem to be somewhat better now. When I get like that and even when I feel better I generally go into a “pity party” and do things like remembering times when I was quite happy, when I had the Kelley’s in my life. A bad thing to do since I can’t get them back. And I’ve had a kitty that needed Vet. care which is extremely costly..and the fear of loosing him overwhelms me. He’s better right now, but I feel as if I am just waiting for it to begin again.

Lots of times I wish so much that I could go back to writing more from my story Kesterwood. But everything I had in mind for another addition was to be comical and that frame of mind has escaped me for years now. I do open up the beginnings of that “chapter” but never get anywhere… maybe someday I will get lucky, so I open it now and then and sit and think a bit.

Anticipating: Anticipating. Hmmm, now that’s something I miss a lot! I think that at least half of waiting to do something you enjoy so much (anticipating) is as joyful as doing it. This is why I miss having a way to get to autograph shows or being able to afford conventions… the anticipation. The preparation and just knowing how much fun it will be and wondering what surprises awaits you. Wow. I miss having things to look forward to, especially the type of things that made me feel really good inside.

Wishing: See above under “Feeling” After that most of my wishing is for impossible things.

To see some things (like England and Ireland) before I die.

To really feel happy again.

Wishing my kitty gets better and stays better for as long as possible.

Being like everyone I know and wishing I never had to worry about money or being alone when I am sick or in need of help.

But most of these are “old people’s wishes”. And no I don’t wish I was young again lol (ok so maybe 10 yrs younger lol)

Wishing I could write my comical 4th (so called) book.

I find “wishing” sort of like a bucket list … don’t you?

Loving: Booboo. I must tell him a hundred times I day how much I love him…I have to admit that he doesn’t always appreciate it though lol.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Pat, I know you have many things you wish for but I want you to know that one thing you did not wish for was to touch people with your life and story and I can tell you that you have done that. You inspire me every time I read your blog! Sending you all good thoughts your way...

4:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: Thank you Kathleen.

4:11 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I understand and empathize with you on many of these things you wrote about---especially, Boo Boo and being sick and alone. It's tough, my dear...And it seems there are no real answers for it all.....I find that because of my confinement,(180 derree change in my life, for sure) my world has gotten smaller and smaller---The things I look forward to now are smaller, too...Some program on PBS or a Movie that is coming on TV...
I'm sorry you have been struggling with depression and anxiety, my dear, and I understand that, too....But for what it is worth, dear Pat, your blog reflects who you are so much and who you are is "Good People"! I think you contribute so much with your BEAUTIFUL photographs and your talent for sharing your thoughts and feelings about so many things---especially the books you read. One of the great things about Blogging is the people you meet that you would probably have never met any other way---People that enrich your life. You enrich mine, my dear Pat, and I thank you for that, with all my heart.

5:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: you are one of those I am glad I have met..even if it is only over the computer. and I love posting photo's knowing you will enjoy them as much as you do..

6:40 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so glad you decided to give that short story a try and it was interesting to read about your experience with it. You are coming at it from a different place than I am which makes it interesting to engage in conversation about. I like fiction for that reason, we all bring ourselves to the experience of reading it and what we take away is not always the same as others.

It really is a well-written stories with many layers of meaning there. I like Abner as a character so much and thought I cannot yet relate to his age I do relate to him, his passions, and the way in which he wants to live the remainder of his life.

7:52 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: this is true and it's surprising to me (from the feelings "I" get from it) that the author is as young as he is... I would call him wise beyond his years

9:02 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Everyone else has said it so much better than I can. Just know that I'm proud to call you my 'sister', Sis.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes he is!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home