My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

On Being Serenaded

As I sat at the computer this morning unaware of everything but what I was reading, I suddenly realized I was hearing *songs of the wild*.  Some bird was Serenading me outside. The bird would go from one quick song to another and then another.  In my mind I thought that it must be a Mockingbird, whose songs I really could listen to all day long.  I Hesitated getting up to search for the bird thru my glass sliding door because I never seem to find the whoever I am looking for.

This time was different! I actually found him (her) on top of the Bald Cypress right in front of my apartment.  Grabbed my camera and took a shot.  It was cloudy and I thought I might only get a dark outline but I was surprised once again when the photo came out!

I didn’t see the bird leave so did not see the Mockingbirds telltale white spots under it’s wings.  Nor have I ever seen a speckle chested Mockingbird so I was unsure if it was one or not.

First I googled Southern Mockingbirds and when I finally found one with a speckled chest I searched the site it came from and found out it’s a Bahama Mockingbird.  Who knew? duh. 

Anyway I was delighted he sang for me and I hope he comes back!  I don’t know why Mockingbirds don’t see to come to the trees surrounding the pond but they don’t.  The only small birds to come to them are the Winter Warblers and Blackbirds. The Warbler is fun to listen to his little “teet, teet,” but the Blackbirds don’t have a pleasing song.

march101_zps74f8d5ef[1]

…and it only took me 4 years to get a photo of the Mockingbird!

8 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Pat this looks like the Brown Thrashers we have here. Our Mocking Birds are grey with a lighter grey chest and the white tail. The mocking birds are territorial and fight other mocking birds. They do have a beautiful song but are very hateful fighting their own and other birds also.

10:08 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, he/she is a handsome devil! How wonderfully special that you had this new singing visitor...Maybe he/she is looking for a good safe place to take up residence...And, maybe a "nest'will be built!

12:25 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Cute! I love listening to birds sing :)

11:49 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Well that's a first for me. I had no idea what a mockingbird looked like. How stupid is that! But now I do, so thanks for that, Pat. He looks a bit like one of our thrushes. Very pretty.

6:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I've googled both ..thrushes and bahama mockingbird and the long tail and songs I lean towards the mockingbird..does a thrush sing all different bird songs????

7:18 AM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

What a lovely bird! Isn't it lovely when a new bird shows up?

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

yes it is nice when a new bird shows up. The big ones around here are great but I do miss the smaller birds

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Beautiful picture so well worth the wait to catch him singing. That is one thing I always love about getting out the city. I actually get to hear the birds singing.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home