My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Quartet

 

Quartet is a new movie out directed by the one and only “Tootsie”!… err, Dustin Hoffman!

154162911_zpsc9fca3ca[1]

And what a movie he chose for his first directorial movie!

Right off the bat I will tell you that this movie won’t be for everyone. But it certainly broke barriers for me!

Storyline

Cecily, Reggie, and Wilfred are in a home for retired musicians. Every year, on October 10, there is a concert to celebrate Verdi's birthday and they take part. Jean, who used to be married to Reggie, arrives at the home and disrupts their equilibrium. She still acts like a diva, but she refuses to sing. Still, the show must go on... and it does.

 MaggieSmithQuartet_zpsea84cbae[1] Dame Maggie Smith is, as always, fabulous!

tom-courtenay_zps07ddc062[1] I thought Tom Courtenay was new to me, but you will be surprised to click on his link and see what else he  has been in.

la-la-ca-10_zpsb4422af9[1] Billy Connelly. I haven’t seen him in ages but he has been active in his career. For a few moments all I could say is, “I know that voice”..then I realized I remember him most from  “Mrs. Brown” which was another fabulous movie!

20130125_inq_sraqua25-a_zpsd1935f27[1] I have to admit I didn’t know Pauline Collins but I will from now on.

quartet-michael-gambon_zps909c498b[1] And you’d have to be one of the few people in the world not to have seen Harry Potter to not know who Michael Gambon is !

Maggie Smith: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001749/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Pauline Collins:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0172604/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Tom Courtenay: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183822/?ref_=sr_1

Billy Connolly: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175262/bio

Michael Gambon: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002091/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Quartet: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441951/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Dustin Hoffman: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000163/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

And last but not least.. the Director ..Dustin Hoffman.

Quartet_02_zpsb5c8504f[1] 

Quartet_01_zps8d18f6ca[1]

Dustin-Hoff_zps78e6e229[1]

I think I’d like to pick his brain to find out why he chose a movie like this to be his first directorial debut.  The movie is filled with white hair (and no one had to bleach it).  It is filled with Opera singing and Opera music.  (I fear the younger movie goers are not going to stand in line for this one)  But behind all of that, there are these magnificent actors and actresses with more experience than the most popular actor of today. There is a story of “time gone by”.  And in the midst of all of that… there is a love story.  In other words: no special effects, no high shoot ‘em up chases, no sex or scandal… hell, one might say there wasn’t anything here to direct!..  one MIGHT say that, but I wouldn’t. 

For his first outing as a director Dustin Hoffman brought to the screen A Story. One that needed nothing but a good script and a group of really good actors. 

Bravo Dustin Hoffman!  You did good!

And just in case you go to see this movie… watch the credits!  You will find that many of the retired musicians and singers in the movie were the actual musicians and singers.

7 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

And damned if he doesn't still look good!!! ;)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I haven't been in a movie theater in several years. Perhaps this one will change that

10:49 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I saw this film and loved it! I am familiar with all the actors from many previous outings---Michael Gambon---I've never seen any of the Harry Potter films, but know him from many many other pictures....They are all great! And as you said,it is a wonderful story.

I saw Dustin Hoffman on some show talking about what inspired him to do this story---He had seen a Documentary about a woman who bought this huge house just for the purpose of having a place for retired singers and musicians, in their later years, when they were no longer flush---So they could live with dignity, etc...WONDERFUL idea, isn't it?

1:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly.. oh yeah lol

naomi: oh wow! so it's "real"?!! How great! I loved the movie but then even before I got "old" I seemed to always love the stories in movies when they were casted with a mostly "older" cast. I loved the Whales of August and the Lavender Girls, The Grass Harp etc just good stories with "seasoned" actors and always excellent movies!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This one's definitely on my list of movies to see at some stage.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Looks like a wonderful film and nice to see some actors who haven't made their faces stiff from too much Botox.

3:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: Maggie Smith did a "very rare interview" in which she was asked if she would consider a face life and she said she was too old now to think of it. She then was asked why she doesn't do interviews in the USA.. she responded by saying, "I would scare them. They don't "do old"! " She is absolutely right!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home