My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

1977 Was a Very Good Year

Who out there is old enough to remember a very special television series called “ROOTS”?

For the life of me I cannot believe 35 years has gone by since I watched it first on tv. I was mesmerized by it then and when it came on tv yesterday the same thing happened. I couldn’t stop watching it, and it was on for 11 hours straight!

I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. There were oh so many famous stars in it and then there was a new actor.. his name is LeVar Burton.. you may have heard of him since then!

roots_movieq[1]

Below: LeVar as the young warrior, Kunta Kinte.  Who ever thought he’d become even more famous by covering those big eyes of his for Star Trek, or would be known to so many young children on Reading Rainbow?!

Roots-inside[2]

I couldn’t begin to mention all the wonderful actors and actresses in the movie but there are 2 who have always been favorites of mine… one is Lou Gossett Jr who played Fiddler in the movie.

500full[9]

4259a_image4_1209814461[1]

…and the other who I’ve liked forever is John Amos who played the “older” Kunta Kinte.

johnamos[1]

I sat entranced for 11 hours!.. ok so the last few of those hours I was in bed , but I didn’t miss any of it!  Did anyone else happen to see this yesterday or today???

If you’ve never seen it, treat yourself and buy or rent the movie!  It’s really something (a part of history) you shouldn’t miss.

I am so happy they put it on again after all those years…  Fabulous movie. Fantastic writing.  Exquisite acting!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Obviously I didn't see it today, lol, but goodness I remember it from 1977. Watched it avidly. OMG, I had no idea the young Kunta Kinte was Levar Burton. Absolutely no clue whatsoever! How weird is that! By far and away my favourite in it was John Amos, he was fantastic, imo. Brilliant series, wish they's reshow it here.

6:22 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I didn't know it was on...! What channel was it on?
Of course I saw it when it was on originally...And it was an incredible "happening"....It was a FIRST in so very many ways--Not the least of which was shoeing each episode one night after another....THAT had never been done before. And the audience took to it and stayed with it...!
How great to see it, once agaib, Pat.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really like this mini-series. We recently rewatched it and it was just as good!

12:20 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I never forgot LeVar or John Amos but there were in some parts that I totally forgot were in it!

Naomi: on Comcast Cable it was on channel 60 on Saturday afternoon until 1 am (11 hrs) and then again on the same channel it began about 11 am.

kelly: oh yes it can't help but "hold up" since its a historical period piece . Often it's the clothing/scenery such as cars, and language that doesn't hold up...but it's near impossible for period pieces not to hold up. But it was strange seeing everyone so young!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Merry Christmas Pat! I have not seen Roots in years but it is a good one to sit and watch straight through!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home