My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Haunted Hotel

 The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins.

 rip7200[1]

(book 6 for RIP)

Paperback: 168 pages
Publisher: Kessinger Publishing (June 1, 2004)
ISBN-10: 1419165488

 wilkie[1]

Wilkie Collins (8 January 1824 – 23 September 1889) will never be as well known as one of his friends, a fellow writer named Charles Dickens. But Collins was an established playwright and author in his own right. Collins and Dickens collaborated frequently, but Wilkie also produced hundreds of his own works, ranging from novels to literary articles and short stories, including The Woman in White, The Moonstone, Armadale and No Name.

A beautiful tale of super-natural that amalgamates mystery and adventure. It professes that evil will finally be punished with evil. With a lot of twists and turns, ups and downs, this is one of the most amazing tales. A psychological thriller with tight narrative, ghostly terror and persistent action, this is a masterpiece by Collins.

After reading Drood, I had to read something by Wilkie Collins in hopes he really wasn’t quite the person that Dan Simmons made him out to be ! (enter: spooky music)

This short book is a mystery more then a haunting. 

Wilkie’s writing is so precise that you never have a problem seeing everything he writes! I don’t want to give away to much because it is just a short novella (so not a lot of reading.. )although in those 168 pages the printing is so small that with my bad eyes each chapter (short though they were) could have been one long running word! lol

As in other Victorian mysteries there is “the woman’s place” in the scheme of things, and the righteous men that surround them.  This is also a love story…. and a murder.

Wilkie Collins packed quite a bit into this small but excellent book!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I wonder if I've read this. I can't remember it but it may have been in ghost story anthology that I picked up somewhere. It sounds kind of familiar. I now have to check the size of print before I buy books or get them from the library. I'm still ok with paperbacks but if the print is small in them, I put them back. When you think that a huge proportion of readers are older, the publishers are making a big mistake with this.

4:09 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds very very intriguiging(?)...! Small print is getting harder and harder for me, so I cannot imagine how difficult reading this book might be...!

7:15 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: you might have it in a book called "the haunted hotel and other stories"??

naomi: i finally gave up trying to find Wilkie's book in larger print.. it took me longer to read those 129 pgs than a normal sized book!!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I haven't read anything by Wilkie Collins yet...not sure why, because I have a feeling I'd love his books. Maybe I should start with this one, since it's short. Though I hope I can find it with bigger print, because I despise having to squint to read. :P

5:03 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I love Wilkie Collins and yet until Carl's RIP I'd never heard of this book - what is wrong with me!
I also read another review of this that was really good and I can't wait to go and pick it up.
When I was younger I read whatever books were in the house - so basically my dads and mainly classics. This is why I read The Woman in White and The Gemstone novel. But, as these were the only two books of Collins on his shelves it never even occurred to me that there were more - what's up with that?
Thanks so much
Lynn :D

4:45 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I haven't heard about this one! I will check to see if my library has it. I've enjoyed his other work, so I want to read it. A haunted hotel! how did I miss this one? Glad you enjoyed it so much, too, Pat.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I've got to read Collins at some point and a short one like this really is probably my best bet to get me hooked. I like the idea of a lot of stuff packed into a small book.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home