My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 06, 2012

What the Dead Know

rip7200[2]

Second book for RIP……

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman.

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks(February 10, 2009)
ISBN-10: 006177135X

 dead[1]

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Edgar-winner Lippman, author of the Tess Monaghan mystery series (No Good Deeds, etc.), shows she's as good as Peter Abrahams and other A-list thriller writers with this outstanding stand-alone. A driver who flees a car accident on a Maryland highway breathes new life into a 30-year-old mystery—the disappearance of the young Bethany sisters at a shopping mall—after she later tells the police she's one of the missing girls. As soon as the mystery woman drops that bombshell, she clams up, placing the new lead detective, Kevin Infante, in a bind, as he struggles to gain her trust while exploring the odd holes in her story. Deftly moving between past and present, Lippman presents the last day both sisters, Sunny and Heather, were seen alive from a variety of perspectives. Subtle clues point to the surprising but plausible solution of the crime and the identity of the mystery woman.

I do like a mystery when only small pieces at a time are doled out like pieces of a puzzle and you are to try to figure out how they fit together.  AND.. I love, love, love a book with short chapters! (it makes me read more at each sitting then I would if the book had long chapters).  This book had both.  Short chapters  and a “cold case” mystery to be solved.

Generally I am not a lover of a “detective” type mystery but when it isn’t always stating “police” it instantly becomes more interesting to me.

I think I originally picked up this (used) book especially for RIP and although it wasn’t all bloody and gory it was a good mystery, and being a 30 yr old cold case made it even more interesting.

Not a bad read at all, although it won’t make my “reread” list…that takes a “wow, fantastic” book . But if you like cold cases you will probably enjoy this book.

Meanwhile, I had begun a different book before What the Dead Know, called Nevermore.  According to the Amazon review it had everything I enjoy in a mystery book!… but after 129 pages I gave up.  The writing just didn’t capture me..but I like to put it out there because we don’t all have the same tastes when it comes to reading…

nevermore[1]

Nevermore by William Hjortsberg

From Library Journal

Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle join forces in this historical mystery with occult overtones. In his later years, Doyle has become a true believer in mediums who speak with the spirits of the dead. Houdini, as a master of illusion, takes pride in exposing and debunking such fraudulent people. Despite their opposing views, a mutual interest in the occult draws them together in a respectful friendship. When murders patterned after the tales of Edgar Allan Poe begin to occur, Houdini and Doyle are as fascinated as the rest of the citizens of New York. When they discover that all the victims have a distant relationship to Houdini, they decide to work together to solve the mystery. Nevermore is an enjoyable though sometimes gruesome adventure that is much enhanced by the author's use of the many details behind Houdini's amazing escapes and magic tricks

7 Comments:

Anonymous Deb Atwood said...

Hi Pat,

R.I.P. just started, and you have already reviewed two books. I'm impressed!

I think my favorite Laura Lippman novel is I'd Know You Anywhere. Love her writing style for her stand alone books and, as you say, that technique of dropping new information into the story bit by bit.

10:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Deb:hmmm now I have to check I'd Know you Anywhere at amazon lol

11:04 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I too started a book for RIP, got about about 60 pages in, and decided to stop reading. Just wasn't doing it for me. Have started something else and it's much better.

11:37 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That first book sounds very very inyeresting. I cannot get over how fast you read, Pat...AMAZING, really!

6:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: well you were smarter than me and stopped sooner LOL

Naomi: fast? LOL LOL not hardly! Although really good books do make me read "more each day" then one that is "so-so/ ok" there are some in the book blogs that can read a whole book each day!!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I can't read big books in a day! and if I read a book in day, it's usually a kids book, or lighter fiction, and I have to drop EVERYTHING else to read it all. Or else it takes me days...but you know something, it's emjoying the books we read that counts most, not how much we've read. Though there are so many books to read, aren't there? So you're right to not finish one if it doesn't capture you. I had to do that with the book you reviewed here - I started What the Dead Know Last weekend, and got annoyed with the games the main female character was playing, so went on to something else instead. Yaay to finishing a book already for RIP! That's a good start, Pat.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I think I have a Laura Lipmann book packed in one of the boxes we've yet to unpack, but I can't remember the name of it. Don't think it's that one though. She sounds like an author I would enjoy. And HOORAY for short chapters!!! I'm just like you--I tend to read more in a sitting that way...because it's so easy to say, "Okay, just one more chapter" and then "Well, just one more" and then "I've got time for another"...

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home