My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Who Am I?

I picked these two books up at Books a Million for 10.00 (for both)… when I put them together to snap a photo I thought them a very odd pair!

newbks-6[1]

The word : eclectic jumped to mind.   I found this very interesting for someone 68 yrs old.

When I was younger my reading was all: fantasy/ fiction. (I still read fantasy/fiction)

A little later in life I found I had added a few biographies. (now I have many more)

Then I met Carl (Stainless Steel Rats) and found myself adding Gothic Mysteries to my reading agenda.

Then I met my “sis”, Cath, of Read_Warbler fame, who lives across the pond, and found my mysteries all seemed to want to be in England!  I think I can blame her for my love of YA books now too! (happily I have found some wonderful YA authors like Michael Scott and James Owen)

Then I added Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens! (me?!…classic writers?… this was no longer me!)

Toss in Daphne du Maurier, & Frances Hodgson Burnett for a few female authors and I am beginning to wonder who I am!

And now it’s come to this:  non fiction! (gulp) and books on Roosevelt!  I think I am going to hell in a handbag!  Why were these sort of things not interesting when I was young enough to become smart by reading them?????  To be honest… at my age with a memory like a sieve ..just what do I think I will learn and why do I want to?

Ok.. so I don’t necessarily look at it as learning as much as it being like a good movie… interesting. 

I think I am terrified to ask:  what’s next?

5 Comments:

Blogger GeraniumCat said...

Look at it this way: if you *are* going to hell in a handbag, we'll all be able to meet up there and have the absolutely-best-ever book group :-)

11:46 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh I can SO agree with this post!!! I read nothing but sci fi and fantasy when I started blogging and now months can pass by without me reading either of those! Funny how others can influence us huh? I think it's a good thing though :) I've discovered so many great books because of fellow bloggers!

1:44 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Nah, don't be terrified! Just enjoy the heck out out of it!!! But I do so get what you mean--for me it was psychological thrillers that occupied the bulk of my reading life. Before blogging, I never read fantasy. How horrible is that?!! Oh my, but how many happily spent hours I have bloggers to thank for!!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have always been a bit eclectic. I think the biggest change for me is that I read young adult books. I used to NEVER touch young adult books...

10:22 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh, what a great post, Pat. GeraniumCat made me hoot with her comment. I can't wait for that!!!

Me, I used to read nothing but historical romance when I was in my late teens, and twenties. Victoria Holt, that kind of thing. Mikhail Gorbachev changed that... the wall came down along with communism and I went looking for biographies of him, read a couple and they led me onto all kinds of things, like Victorian ghost stories. Gawd knows how. Blogging caused another upheaval as I saw what others were reading... Now I'm like you, I'll try anything. But I do understand what you mean about not retaining the info. I think most of us are the same with that, but enough remains that we're more informed than we were before we read the book. So it's all good. :-)

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home