My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

I Hugged a Stranger Today…

 

Just so you know…..

This is the t-shirt I wore this morning when I went grocery shopping…

shirt1[1]

(photo taken in a mirror and then “mirrored” in PSP)

I no sooner stepped out of my car and began my way to the store when I was passing a man and wife, complete strangers,  unloading their bags into their trunk of the car.

The lady smiled and said, “ohhhh, I love your shirt!”

I responded with, “Perhaps you are a Trekkie?”

She grinned, “Indeed!”

I went right up to her and we hugged!

Her husband raised his eyes to the sky, unbelieving.

We stood and chatted a few more moments until their packages were all safely in the trunk of their car.

“He tolerates, Trek” she said.

“Ah, I see, “ I smiled.

“But at least he is tolerant” she said in his behalf.

“Much better than no tolerance,” I grinned.

We said our goodbye’s to a smiling husband shaking his head…

What a good feeling to have hugged a stranger!  I do miss conventions for this very reason!

10 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

beam me up

11:39 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a lovely story, my dear Pat. I know you must miss those conventions, a lot! Don't they ever have any in or near your area? If not....that is really too bad.
That is a GREAT T-Shirt, and I'm not a Trekkie...but, I appreciate good art.

11:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: what? and have your molicules spread all over the galaxy? lol

Naomi: none very close unfortunately and the cost along with hotel/ ticket/ and probably airfare is more than I can spend since I have no income except what little SS I get. But I do miss them. Miss meeting people who like things I like and the friendly atmosphere that comes with it.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a great post. I love the idea of hugging a Trekkie stranger. Good for you, Pat!!!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Btw... did you get your stitches out yet?

2:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: everytime I wear this shirt (which isnt often because it's the "last trek shirt I have"..someone smiles at the shirt!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I love that you hugged a stranger because of that gorgeous t shirt! Oh my I think I'm drooling over it. I wish they'd make more of those. They'd sell out so fast.

Yaay for Star Trek and mutual love of a tv show that lives on!

There must be some conventions near Florida....in Florida...or were you thinking of Star Trek conventions?

11:48 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I just love this story so much :) It's so wonderful when you can connect with someone over a shared love of something.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

That is such an awesome story!!! Isn't it great how something as "silly" (and I say that knowing that is the way some, not me, feel) as a SF television show can bond us together with people we know nothing else about. It is one of the things I love about shows like Star Trek. How very cool!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

What a wonderful story. I love how something like Star Trek can help us find common ground with a complete stranger!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home