My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 09, 2012

The House on the Strand

The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier.

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: University of Pennsylvania Press
ISBN-10: 0812217268

strand3[1]

The House on the Strand is a novel by Daphne du Maurier . First published in 1969 by Victor Gollancz , it is one of her later works.

Like many of du Maurier's novels, The House on the Strand has a supernatural element . It is concerned with the ability to mentally travel back in time and experience historical events at first hand - but not to influence them.

It is set in and around Kilmarth (where Daphne du Maurier lived from 1967) near the Cornish  village of Tywardreath , which in fact translates from the Cornish language  as "House on the Strand".

My choice of my latest Daphne du Maurier book was The House on the Strand.  Once again, just the fact that Daphne’s books all seem to happen in Cornwall helped me choose this one.  That and my “sis” was born in Cornwall and I get all sorts of gorgeous pictures when she goes there.

So.. I can’t say I really knew what this was about when I began the book.  I read the first chapter and found myself saying, “wtf?”.  I had no idea what I had just read or what it was going to be about.   But my “sis” said it was once one of her favorite books.. I would try another chapter.

The second chapter slightly cleared up the “wtf” by my finding out that this man had taken a drug that took him back in time where he saw “history” in the form of others who lived in the house and area when he was now residing.

I kept reading and eventually I got into enjoying the book.  I really like that she describes areas of Cornwall and uses the names of places so that you feel you are really there.  Although I don’t know many names of places when Tintagel Castle was mentioned a smile whipped across my face as fast as lightening. Then I was sure I knew why my “sis” loved the book so much because she really loves Cornwall and so did Daphne du Maurier.

I want to say again, that I enjoyed the book.  However, and I can’t believe I’d even say “however” when it comes to Daphne du Maurier, I was not thrilled that I didn’t know our main character well “before” we got into the “past”.  And to be honest I never felt I knew him and I am a big character driven reader.   I wasn’t thrilled with the “mode of time travel” being a drug either… but considering how Dickens and others  always spoke of the Opium used in England it really comes as no surprise.

Overall, it really is a good book.  And if you like du Maurier this would be a must read on your list.  I’m not sure what my next du Maurier book will be…but I do know there will be another. So far I’ve only read 3: Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel and now House on the Strand. Probably Frenchman’s Creek for my next  du Maurier.  Probably.

6 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I haven't even heard of Frenchman's Creek! But this one sounds interesting! Didn't really even know anything about it before this review...but I think I'll check it out now!

10:41 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I had never heard of this book, but I have heard of "Frenchman's Creek"....I cannot remember anything about it, except the name...! Do let us know how that one is...! Like you, I love "character" driven......without that...no book, movie, or play or even a song, means very much to me.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Frenchman's Creek is *much* more character driven, Pat. Really a beautiful book in its descriptions of the Helford river, in Cornwall, where the book is set. I'm going to reread it soon too.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I cannot believe I *still* have not read any of her novels! Bad, bad Debi!!! It's particularly stupid of me, as she is my favorite short story writer in the world!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I was planning to read this book this year, but hasn't happened yet. Hopefully soon!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I am a huge DuMaurier fan (of what I have read so far) so this is a must read for me.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home