My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The House at Tyneford

 The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons.

Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Plume;(December 27, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0452297648

house[1]

Book Description

Publication Date: December 27, 2011

It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau is forced to leave her glittering life of parties and champagne to become a parlor maid in England. She arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay, where servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn. But war is coming, and the world is changing. When the master of Tyneford's young son, Kit, returns home, he and Elise strike up an unlikely friendship that will transform Tyneford-and Elise-forever.

I was entranced to read on the top of the cover: Fans of Downton Abbey and Kate Morton’s, The Forgotten Garden will absolutely adore: The House at Tyneford.

I did something I don’t usually do.. I took their word for it and sent for the book!  I am pleased to say it was a very good read!  

Yes, there was a Manor house.

Yes, there were servants. (and it was obviously the difference between the two!)

And yes, it did remind me somewhat of Downton Abby… war and all!

The first  half of the book was Elise and her family and her being sent  to the Manor.  She had been brought up a bit spoilt and having privilege, but was moving from Austria to England to become a maid so that she would be safe from the war.

Aside from the obvious differences, both religious and upbringing, this book is more of a love story.  Once again, this is not my comfort zone. (not that romances aren’t good…. it’s just that I go for more escapism  than that)  That being said, it was really written well and very descriptive so that you began to feel that you were right there with Elise seeing what she saw and smelling what she smelled.  And I totally agree with the blurb at the top of the book, that if you like Downton Abby the feelings here would be similar.

A most enjoyable book…and of course it takes place in my “sis’s” country of England… so what’s not to like? If you are a bit of a romantic, and if you like stories like Downton Abby.. you will most likely enjoy this book and the very fine writing inside it’s cover.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Sounds like it was a very satisfying read for you. I still need to watch Downtown Abbey. Everyone has raved about it and I have yet to see an episode!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Love the sound of this one, Pat! Adds it to my list of books to get hold of...

1:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: oh my.. maybe they are on Hulu.com?

cath: the last two book I read seem like they happened fairly close to you! sheesh..lucky for you I am finding those books huh? LOL

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home