My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, June 09, 2012

The Enchantress

thejourneysix[2]

(Book 13 for Once Upon A Time)

The Enchantress by Michael Scott.

Hardcover: 513 pages
Publisher: Delacorte (May 22, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0385735359

 enchant[1]

Book Description

Publication Date: May 22, 2012 | The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

The two that are one must become the one that is all. One to save the world, one to destroy it.
San Francisco:
Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel have one day left to live, and one job left to do. They must defend San Francisco. The monsters gathered on Alcatraz Island have been released and are heading toward the city. If they are not stopped, they will destroy everyone and everything in their path.
But even with the help of two of the greatest warriors from history and myth, will the Sorceress and the legendary Alchemyst be able to defend the city? Or is it the beginning of the end of the human race?
Danu Talis:
Sophie and Josh Newman traveled ten thousand years into the past to Danu Talis when they followed Dr. John Dee and Virginia Dare. And it’s on this legendary island that the battle for the world begins and ends.
Scathach, Prometheus, Palamedes, Shakespeare, Saint-Germain, and Joan of Arc are also on the island. And no one is sure what—or who—the twins will be fighting for.
Today the battle for Danu Talis will be won or lost.
But will the twins of legend stand together?
Or will they stand apart—
one to save the world and one to destroy it?

Wow. How to begin…

I’ve read quite a few YA series of books over the years. I have kept only 2 trilogies to reread. That was until I finished the final book of Michael Scott’s *The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel* (a series of 6)  this too will be saved.  

Of other YA Series that were longer than 3 books I seemed to have lost interest waiting year after year for the latest edition to come out. But it wasn’t like that with this series.  If there was one thing I worried about during the releases of Michael’s books it’s that I am old and I hoped I would be around to finish them! :o)  Here I am!  And I finished them! lol.

I am really (REALLY) going to miss this series. I kept looking forward to the next book. Occasionally I would email Michael with questions.. “you aren’t going to kill of Nicholas are you?”.  He would indicate I had to wait and see.. argh!

I kept hoping that Nicholas Flamel would not die, I mean really!  He’s Immortal! He’s not supposed to die!  Is he?

I was totally flabbergasted at the amount of real, mythical,  and historical figures he managed to cram all into one story. Let alone keep track of them!  I still don’t know how he knew who was with who, and where or even *when*. (this is where you hear the Jaws theme)  Any who know me know I am not a lover of time travel in books.  But Michael Scott is such a good writer that when (and if) this occurred I always knew where I was.  That my friends is called: amazing writing.

The last book of any series is the wrap up book.  Wrap up all the loose endings and bring them all to a conclusion. This could not have been an easy task.  For in this book there are a slew of characters! (just how many were there Michael?).

Just to name a few (an in no particular order):

Josh & Sophie

Nicholas Flamel & Perenelle

Machiaveli

John Dee

Shakesphere

Mars

Quatzalcoatl

Tsagaglala

Prometheus

Joan of Arc

Scathach

Prometheus

Virginia Dare

Black Hawk

and Billy the Kid…  to name just *some*!

Never have I read books with so many characters! …and I loved every moment! I can’t begin to comprehend how much *homework* Michael did to actually know all about the historical and mythical characters he was  using!

…And if all that isn’t enough… Michael even mentions the original Star Trek! (and McCoy!!!).

enchanttrek[1]

If he hadn’t waited until the final book to do this I’d say he did it to make me keep waiting for “the next book”… but he managed to do that all by his writing, without the mention of McCoy… but I have to say.. it was a great touch!

And so, without giving anything more away, other then what the Amazon Review says, I will just say Thank you so much for a most Wonderful Series of books Michael!! 

I do hope that any of you who haven’t read these books will give them a try and find out for yourself just how fantastically wonderful they are! (that would be my way of saying I think you should read this series!)

Oh.. and Michael: if you should be reading this…. what’s next??!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the really great review and for sticking with it through all these years. Only trilogies in the future, I promise. (And some Flamel short stories too!)

The next series is The Earthlords and I am working on it right now.

Michael

12:07 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I would not have expected this series, based on the looks of the books alone, to make mention of Star Trek. How fun! Odd how that one little fact makes me more curious about these books than I would have been before.

Of course I am thrilled you are "still around" to see the completion of the series, lol! I had to admit I was thinking something similar when reading The Way of Kings, Sanderson's first of a 10 book series. It will easily be over 2 decades before it all ends. Kind of a scary commitment, really.

It makes me really happy, as a reader, when I see people fall madly under the spell of books and I'm thrilled you had this experience here. Your excitement is palpable and that makes me think of the times I've had that same experience. Isn't it great that readers share that? No one but a reader who has experienced it can understand just how amazing that is.

3:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: ah yes... I believe we discussed "similiar experiences" recently when you met Michael Whelan lol.. and yes..experiences with books..in my case I usually fall for the characters and begin feeling I really know them ...it sucks you right into the story everytime!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I've always been a McCoy fan myself...and I love when books reference my favorite fandoms!

7:19 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Alright...I think you have finally convinced me that I have to read these books :p And what better time than after they've all been published!! I had no doubt of course that you would be around to see them all to publication :) And it looks like there's still plenty more to come from him by his comment!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

How wonderful to see a Star Trek reference! LOL. So glad you love this series, Pat. It's great to have these series of books that are so close to our hearts.

8:46 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oh how wonderful!! These are on my list Pat! I love hearing you so excited! They must be amazing :D

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home