My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Snow Child

SleepToDream300[1]

(Book 5 for OUaT, the Journey)

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books (February 1, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0316175676

41hH9i-1[1]

Amazon.com Review

In her haunting, evocative debut Eowyn Ivey stakes her claim on a Russian fairy tale, daring the reader--and the characters--to be lulled into thinking they know the ending. But, as with the Alaskan wilderness, there’s far more here than meets the eye. On the surface it’s the story of a childless pioneer couple running from their East Coast lives and struggling to survive in the harshest of climates while also attempting to reconnect with each other; but it’s also the story of the spring of hope that bubbles out of new friendships, of the slow realization of love for a surrogate child, of the ties between man and nature. Ivey spares no words in describing the beauty and the danger of her native Alaska, bringing the sheer magnitude of the wilderness alive on every page. With the transparent prose of a fairy tale and descriptions to put nature writing to shame, The Snow Child immerses readers in a 1920s Alaska that will draw them back again and again.

This book is not my usual type of reading.  But I heard so many positive things about it I put it on my wish list and low and behold a friend of mine sent it to me for my birthday. (thanks again Cathy!!!)

For me the book started off a little slower then I like but it did set the scene, and the main characters.  Since I did not know the  fairy tale that the story represents, I did not have any comparison.  Needless to say I liked the old couple, Mable and Jack, and so I found I wanted to read their story and the story of the Snow Child.

At first the child is very much related to a fairy tale, but as things go along you begin to think differently.  However, there are more twists and turns in your mind before the book ends!  Over all the book is a good read.  You get to “see” some of Alaska, and to meet good hearted neighbors.  And, as they say: you get to learn your lessons along the way.

There’s really not a lot to be said without telling the entire story .. but I will say it is different from any fairy tales I remember. (which is pretty easy since my memory is not very good!)  But I can mention one of my thoughts… they were strong, strong, people!  To be older and to move to Alaska and literally dig out the grounds for farming seems more than anything I could do!! (I could only wish to be healthy and strong enough to live like that!)

If you enjoy reading fairy tales, this book will be right up your alley!

10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I can see this one becoming one of my favorite books!! I just loved Jack and Mabel so much!! And I loved the description of the land and how they lived as hard as it sounded. Just such a beautiful book :) Glad to hear that you at least enjoyed it!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm not greatly into fairy tales but I still think I will want to read this sometime. I think there might be enough in it - about Alaska and so on - for me to like it.

6:42 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I do like Fairy tales, and I like the sound of this one :D Thanks Pat <3

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep thinking this one should be creepy.. I haven't read it yet, thought. Is it kind of creepy?

I always get a little anxious when a book gets this much hype, but I am glad you enjoyed it; that reassures me. I hope to get to this one, too--sooner than later.

L (omphaloskepsis)

12:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: I liked it but it wasn't a "wow" book for me. But it was good reading.

Cath:well it does take place in Alaska lol..I am not a fairy tale person either although i've read a few but they are never wow books like I mentioned to Chris

hi Kelly : yup you probably would like this one!

contemplatrix: yes I am always leary too..and I find them ok but not thrilling. I wouldnt call this one creepy..you keep wondering if the child is real or not thru most of the story though

1:37 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

This one is already on my radar and your thoughts about the couple and the adventure of moving to Alaska and farming has me even more interested. I like stories like that. The fairy tale stuff will feel like a bonus.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I used to love fairy tales and miss reading them. I've heard of this one and have it on my list already. Thanks for the great review Pat.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I liked it also. I felt for the couple - they had such a hard life and at first everything felt very miserable. I loved the descriptions of Alaska and the way that you were never quite sure if the little girl was real or not.
Lynn :D

4:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh now I want to read this one! good review, Pat. I would like to see Alaska one day, and a fairy tale set there sounds interesting.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Buried In Print said...

The difficulties they have surviving the winter sure give you a new respect for that kind of experience and for the importance of connections that you make in the community under those conditions. I really, really enjoyed this book although, like you, I didn't know the original story until I read this novel!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home