My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Disappointment at the Library

I do not know why I don’t use the Library here in Vero Beach.  When I was growing up in New Providence NJ, I loved out little library and I went there often!

 np4-1[1]

Well, I finally forced myself to go to the Vero Beach Main Library!

Why you ask? (go ahead… ask!)

I had 6 books in mind that I wanted to see and hold in my hands.  Only six out of the thousands of books that the Library has.  

First I wanted to see the 2 Volume books called : The Letters of Wilkie Collins, Vol.1 and 2.  I wanted to see the books and glance through them and maybe read a letter or two to see if actually reading them was anything I’d want to do.

But did they have them? (go ahead… ask!)

No. 

Big disappointment. I thought sure the Library would have them being as Wilkie Collins is Classic… but no… they didn’t have them.  They did have some large print books written by him… and even his more of his famous books (but they were so high and with a lot of glare that the photo did not come out).  I did get to see The Lady in While as a hardback… I drooled just a little.  But the disappointment of not seeing even one of the Letters volume won me over. :o(

wc-1[1]

They had dozens more of Charles Dickens books.. cha.  That made me even more sad about Wilkie.  Poor Wilkie is just overshadowed by Dickens, which makes no sense at all since they were friends and even co-authored plays and articles.

dickens1-1[1]

I did spot that huge HUGE book below called Martin Chuzzlewit (over 800 pgs) but it has caught my interest! (I’ve read a few by Dickens but not as many as I should)

dickens2-1[1]

So… after my big disappointment over sweet Wilkie… I went in search of my next dream… to hold in my hands the individual hardback books  Anne McCaffrey wrote  of: Dragonflight, Dragonquest and the White Dragon.

Can we say : this library is a complete dud?

Just look! Two shelves worth of Ann McCaffrey… but not one of those 3 books was to be found!  I just want to hold them!  Take photo’s of them in my home!  And read them as individual hardback books! (and drool all over them!) 

anne1[1]

Dud.

That library is a dud!

I was depressed for the rest of the day!  Geez.  I mean come on people this is a library!!! You are supposed to have these things!!

Needless to say my introduction to the Vero Library fell flat on it’s face.  I doubt I will be stopping by again anytime soon! *sigh*  I hope you all have better libraries than I have!

ok.. i am done complaining.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

My library is broken into a bunch of different branches. That is how I get more variety...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Yes, ours is better than that, though I don't imagine even it has the Collins book of letters. Ours is not great on non-fiction, sadly. Sorry you had such a poor experience, Pat.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That's so disappointing, isn't it? when you go and discover they have nothing of what you want. Do they have a way for you to request the books - like is there a library association for Florida, that Vero Beach is a part of?

The worst thing though, is to go there and come away with nothing....

12:39 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oh yeah, I think you can order them online too. I looked it up when I was looking for free books for your iPod. It's worth a shot :D

7:25 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

We've got some decent libraries here, although I seldom just go in and pull stuff off the shelves. I usually put items on hold online and have them shipped to the branch closest to me.

On a different note, I had to pop over here to tell you that I watched Star Trek again tonight. I was just in that mood. I had went to a small used bookstore today and among other things bought an old and much worn Star Trek novel by David Gerrold (because it was ST and I loved the cover) and that put me in the mood to see the film. Such a great movie. Thought of you, of course, while watching it.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

What a bummer Pat! My library in my neighborhood is small so I actually drive about 20 minutes to go to the big library that is near where I grew up. I find most of what I want there and if I don't I use the inter-library loan system and I get it eventually.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home