My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Scarlet

thejourneysix[1] 

(book 2 of The Journey..yes that means I have done the Journey twice..so far)

Scarlet by Stephen R Lawhead.

Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (June 10, 2008)
ISBN-10: 159554089X

Scarlet1[1]

Book Description

After losing everything he owns, forester Will Scarlet embarks on a search for none other than King Raven, whose exploits have already become legendary. After fulfilling his quest--and proving himself a skilled and loyal companion--Will joins the heroic archer and his men.

Now, however, Will is in prison for a crime he did not commit. His sentence is death by hanging--unless he delivers King Raven and his band of cohorts.

That, of course, he will never do.

Wales is slowly falling under the control of the invading Normans, and King William the Red has given his ruthless barons control of the land. In desperation, the people turn to King Raven and his men for justice and survival in the face of the ever-growing onslaught.

From deep in the forest they form a daring plan for deliverance, knowing that failure means death for them all.

Scarlet continues Stephen R. Lawhead's riveting saga that began with the novel Hood, which relocated the legend of Robin Hood to the Welsh countryside and its dark forests. Steeped in Celtic mythology and the political intrigue of medieval Britain, Lawhead's trilogy conjures up an ancient past and holds a mirror to contemporary realities. Prepare for an epic tale that dares to shatter everything you thought you knew about Robin Hood.

Hood was  quite a good book. Easy reading and enjoyable..

Scarlet is even a better book. Easy reading and even more enjoyable!

I couldn’t ask for more from a second book of a trilogy.  The last third of the book, Hood, picked up considerably and made me want to know “what next”.  When I began Scarlet I did not know who Will was nor why he was in jail waiting to be hanged.  Will was yet another one of the “merry men”, but one who was captured and was going to be hanged.  It suddenly became a book I wanted to read!   All the time he was in “prison” Will was “confessing” to Odo who was scribing whatever he said in hopes he would give up Bran and the others, which of course, he does not. The hangman's knot awaiting him at all times.  But in the interim we begin to know Monk Odo and get to like him as well. Has Scarlet made a friend? (you will have to read it to find out!)

Scarlet (Will) receives a “typical” Robin Hood save, when Bran and others come to try to free him dressed so as no one would recognize him and wants a contest that “might” win Will his freedom from hanging. 

I think this book was more gripping than Hood, and by the time you get to the end of the book you are ready to spit and fight for Bran and his men yourself lol..

I am enjoying this series of books that I began with quite a bit of doubt that I’d even finish book one.  Lawhead (so far) as done a superb job of “reinventing” Robin Hood.  I have a feeling the last book, Tuck, will bring things to a happy conclusion… but not before a rousing adventure to get there!

I am glad I have finally gotten to read this trilogy and sorry I let it set on the bookshelf so long!

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Oooh, I want to read these!!! This sounds like fun. What do you think of it being set in Wales rather than Notthingham Forest?

2:37 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ok, so now I've read your first Hood review: do you like it being set in Wales? Does the author give it a Welsh tone? Do you miss the Sheriff of Nottingham? (as played by Alan Rickman, he was fabulously evil......) lol

2:43 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Delighted that you're getting on so well with this trilogy. I know you had your doubts about it before you started. It's always so great when something is much better than you expect. Will add it to my 'read one day' list.

You know, I forgot that Alan Rickman played The Sheriff in the movie. Thanks for the reminder, Susan! :-)

6:44 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you are having a GREAT time with this Trilogy of Books! Happy Reading, my dear Pat!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Oh, I'm so glad that this seems to have picked up - it's a series that I would be interested in reading but No.1 didn't sound too thrilling - maybe it was suffering from first book syndrome! I feel much more encouraged now after reading this review.
Thanks
Lynn :D

11:23 AM  
Blogger Buried In Print said...

Any book that makes you want to get up and fight with the characters gets high marks from me. Heheh. I enjoyed reading your thoughts!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home