My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Hood

Hood by Stephen R Lawhead.

Paperback: 496 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson (June 5, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1595540881

Hoodbk1[1]

From Publishers Weekly

Lawhead (Byzantium), known for his historical and fantasy fiction, reimagines the tale of Robin Hood in his latest novel, the first in the King Raven Trilogy. Based on detailed research, Lawhead places the folk hero (whom he names Bran) in Wales in 1093, at a time when the land was under constant assault from the new Norman rulers of England. When Bran's father, the king, is killed in an ambush along with nearly all his warriors, the land of Elfael is overtaken and its citizens subjected to great oppression. Though Bran should be king, he has lost faith (in both himself and whatever God he once knew) and decides to flee instead. Through agony and adventure, aided by a ragtag group of colorful characters, his sense of justice grows, along with his commitment to leading the people of Elfael and his creative strategies for dealing with the enemy. Lawhead examines questions of faith from both sides of the conflict, so readers see Welsh monks praying for deliverance and Norman rulers asserting their divine right to the land. The story's tone is uneven—by turns sweet, violent, and funny—and it gets a bit bogged down in the middle, but overall it's a fun read that will leave readers anxious for the next installment.

I can’t begin to recall just how long ago I bought Hood.  I can say…It’s been a long, long time!  Back then I refused to read book one until I had book two….I always want at least 2 of the 3 books in a trilogy so if I have to wait a year or more for book three at least I’ll have read enough to remember what its about!

Well book two came…followed by book 3 and still they sat on my shelf.

I originally bought them because Errol Flynn was so cute?.. no, I do love his movie but that’s not why I bought them.  Because Richard Greene was so cute? (TV Robin Hood) ..nope not even that.

I love reading books based in England.  Especially when they have history attached to them.  And so I thought, this could be good. Old England, back in the days of Kings (vs. Queens? lol) and Hood and his “merry men”… what’s not to like?

When I first began the book I was a little taken back.  I found my mind wondering if this is something I really want to read?  After all it’s a book based on Robin Hood, without being Robin Hood.  And of all things… it doesn’t take place in Sherwood Forest!  This “Hood” is in Wales! 

I kept reading.

Somewhere along the line of the first 50 pages, which is what I give a book to capture me, it got interesting.    So, now I read further to see how Bran survives after the onslaught of his kingly father and their warriors.

As I read on, we find out how Little John gets his name. (ah I name I recognize!!)  And sure enough, we even meet a Friar who has such a long name he is given the name of Tuck… things were looking up!

The books writing was also double spaced…which makes for much easier and faster reading.  All in all, I did find myself picking it up to “read just one more chapter” each time I sat down.

It’s not a wow, this book is so fabulous I hated for it to end type of book…but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would, and I will begin Book 2, Scarlet, sometime later today!

I am glad, since I  have all 3 books in hardback (bargain priced all of them)  that at least I am enjoying them so far.  I hope I can say the same for books 2 and 3!  Oh, and by the way… I didn’t notice it get “bogged down in the middle” like the Amazon review says.  I will admit it only really sped up the last 1/3 of the book, but Lawhead kept it interesting as he laid down the history and set up for the other books to follow.  I like Brad.  Oh! and I think Marien (yes odd spelling) does too… (she doth protest too much).

All in all.. an enjoyable read and I look forward to more of the same in book 2.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Really glad you enjoyed this first book in the trilogy, Pat. Wales? That sounds like a familiar place... I wonder where I've heard of that before... LOL. Mind you, I hadn't heard of it in connection with Robin Hood before. Look forward to hearing about the next book.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Glad you found a new series you can enjoy. Looking forward to hearing about book #2.

2:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: no trips into the woods while you are in Wales Cath lol

Kathleen: yes, it is good. not off the wall fabulous, but certainly an enjoyable read

5:42 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Thanks for that review - this doesn't seem to have quite lived up to its promise? Which is a shame. It sounds like somthing that I would enjoy normally - but at three books and 'not off the wall fabulous' not so sure. I'm getting lazy with my reading - I do give up if I'm not enjoying (which does feel BAD) but.. too many books. Mind you - another name you know for book 2 - maybe no.1 suffered from 'first book, setting up the story' syndrome!
Thanks
Lynn ;D

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I keep hearing mixed things about this series. Robin Hood in Wales...I think that would throw me a little! It sounds like they're doing origin stories for the characters though, and that does sound fun...

9:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I enjoyed your review, Pat, and yes, I think I'm going to try this series. It does look good, at the very least an interesting twist on the usual Robin Hood legend. Yes, I think I will check to see if my library has this. :-)

2:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Lynn: I am always reluctant to write a "review" because I do believe when you come off reading one type of book and go to something very different I don't think we are really "all with it"... now I've read book 2 and I can say I think the series is really a good read!

cheryl: I have to say it's kept my interest and I am enjoying the books even if Bran isn't Errol flynn! lol.. book 2 was very good.. beginning book 3 now

2:50 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I'm so glad you're reviewing these! My chances of reading the book(s) just tripled :)

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home