My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Rose Garden

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark (October 4, 2011)
ISBN-10: 1402258585

rose2[1]

Review

Kearsley masterfully writes authentic voices for Eva and Daniel as they wrestle with their improbable connection and its implications (Publishers Weekly 20110915)


Like Anya Seton's Green Darkness and Daphne du Maurier's House on the Strand, Kearsley brilliantly brings together past and present. 4 1/2 Stars, Top Pick of the Month (RT Book Reviews 20110921)


Kearsley makes the impossible seem real as she weaves a tale full of genuine characters and a strong sense of place and makes history come alive.
(Booklist 20110923)

Ok, so I just finished reading my second Susanna Kearsley book. I really liked the first book, The Winter Sea.  It had been the first book with a romance in it that I’ve read in some time and it was written really well .    Once again this is a historical romance, tucked in with time travel.

I don’t especially like time travel themes and at first I thought I’d not like this book. (when I got it I had heard nothing about time travel connected with the book) But here I was reading and “suddenly things began to blur and waver….” hmmmm.    However, Susanna Kearsley is most brilliant at how she gets into the historical parts of her books and her descriptions of everything are so well done that you have no problem conjuring them up in your mind.

She probably is best at making very believable characters and manages to make them interesting enough that you do enjoy her books even if they aren’t exactly in your comfort zone.

I will admit I still liked The Winter Sea just a touch more.  But I think that had to do with the wonderful personalities she gave her Scotsmen in the book lol.

I will also say that if you read Winter Sea and enjoyed it that her writing is every bit as good in this one, so take the plunge and read this one too!

6 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I'm not big on time travel either. If not done well it gets confusing, but i'm glad you found a book that was able to pull it off :D

8:15 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I actually love time travel stories, but they are easy to screw up I think and often aren't able to hold up well to any critical review. As with everything, it is a good story I desire and little more.

Love seeing your picture of the book and coffee cup. It looks so peaceful and relaxing.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really enjoy Susanna Kearsley. I only have one book left to read by her...

12:41 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Time travel's not my thing either. It can work, House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier, Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine. Loved those. The Time Traveler's Wife... not for me. Am going to try Doomsday Book by Connie Willis soon, and will also put this author on my list of books to try.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I found I enjoyed The Winter Sea when I read it a few years ago. If I come across this one at the library, I think I will try it. One, she's Canadian, and two, I do like the way she writes, and her characters are usually interesting. Good review, Pat! I second what Carl said too, I love the photo of the book and your mug :-)

11:04 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly:well...lets face it, you either fall asleep and wake in another time, or.. things begin to go blurry and then you find you are in another time lol.. of course there seemed to be more of the older time than the now time and I even remained a touch confused at the end but she is a very good writer, does her homework and just has a nice relaxing style.

Carl ..lol I know YOU love time travel lol That IS the table I read by and so my book is always on that table lol

kelly.. I saw that she has one more out I haven't made up my mind to get it yet lol..

Cath: well if you read her try Winter Sea !

Susan: I loved her family of Scotsmen and her writing in their accent too!

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home