My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer

Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company (September 17, 1993)
ISBN-10: 0393311198

seven1[1]

(my copy is a used hardback first edition 1974)

This is the final book that I will complete for the year 2011.  Incredible as it may be, another year has gone by….

Book Description

Series: Norton Paperback | Publication Date: September 17, 1993

Back in print to tie-in with The Canary Trainer, (but it also works well as a stand alone) this "rediscovered" Sherlock Holmes adventure recounts the unique collaboration of Holmes and Sigmund Freud in the solution of a mystery on which the lives of millions may depend.

First discovered and then painstakingly edited and annotated by Nicholas Meyer, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution related the astounding and previously unknown collaboration of Sigmund Freud with Sherlock Holmes, as recorded by Holmes's friend and chronicler, Dr. John H. Watson. In addition to its breathtaking account of their collaboration on a case of diabolic conspiracy in which the lives of millions hang in the balance, it reveals such matters as the real identity of the heinous professor Moriarty, the dark secret shared by Sherlock and his brother Mycroft Holmes, and the detective's true whereabouts during the Great Hiatus, when the world believed him to be dead.

What can I say?… Nicholas Meyer.  Nick to me..but that’s a whole other story…  is one fine writer. (and director and producer etc)

Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas..he deserves more notoriety than he gets.  Nick not only wrote The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (which became a movie) but he wrote two other Holmes books (all of which I am a proud owner)  He wrote The Canary Trainer and West End Horror… if you are a Sherlock Holmes fan you should put these on your list. I know many Sherlockians may not like any books that are not by Conan Doyle, but then they haven’t read Nick Meyer’s books.

can[1]   west[1]

Nick also directed two Star Trek movies..

nick1[1] (guess you figured I’d use this photo!)

nick2[1] (ok so here’s another shot)

..and just because I really like Nicholas Meyer I’ll mention that he wrote and directed a little movie called “Time After Time”.  Some of you may recognize the title.

Then…. there’s the movie from the book I mentioned above, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution.

MV5B[1]

Nicol Williamson played Sherlock Holmes in that movie.. his name stuck in my head

sherl-1[1]  

when I realized why I knew it!… Merlin!!!!

imagesCAOKVSHA

and Robert Duvall played Dr. Watson…

duval[1]

But if I want to be honest… whenever I read anything that has Sherlock and Watson in it .. I keep hearing Basil Rathbone’s voice! And since this book is narrated by Watson.. I heard Nigel Bruce’s voice !

nigelbruce[1] (One must really see the old black and white movie with Basil Rathbone  and Nigel Bruce of The Hound and the Baskerville’s to realize just how good the actors were back then)

As for The Seven-Per-Cent Solution all I can say is… Nicholas Meyer should have written more Holmes books!  I will let the Amazon book description stand as my preview because I could never do it justice.

This is a book (and a movie) that all Sherlock fans should read (and see!).

6 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

AMAZING! The movie was on EARLY this A.M. I fell asleep while watching it---NOT because it was bad--But, because I was so very tired and it relaxed me...!
I never read the book but always wondered how close the film followed the book!

Wishing you a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR, dear Pat.

10:33 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: oh how funny! Happy New Year Naomi!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sounds like you are leaving 2011 on a great reading note!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I really need to try and read these next year. They sound brilliant.

My daughter is reading Name of the Wind at the moment and loving it. Think I'll read it for Carl's OuaT.

7:08 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Yay!! It sounds like you really had a good time with this one :D I love the pic on the cover.

10:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: Happy New Year to you! Yes, I adore Nicholas Meyer for all his work so I feel good having him for my last read of the year

Cath: I read both of his for Carl's challenge this year..they are rather large lol but I still enjoyed them

Kelly: Happy New year woman! I hope everything goes well this coming year for you!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home