My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Red Herring Without Mustard

I guess this is the last book I’ll have finished in 2011… but before I get to that I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas Eve!… and/ or… Happy Hanukkah!

Animation6eve[1]

A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley

Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Bantam (October 18, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0385343469

 

 41floh[1]

 

From Booklist

Stubborn, precocious Flavia de Luce seems old beyond her 11 years, but readers of her previous encounters with dead bodies and mystery know she has a vulnerable side, as well. Nowhere is that more visible than in her relationships with her distant father and her sisters, who constantly taunt her. In her latest adventure, the family is on the verge of bankruptcy. Father is auctioning his beloved stamps and selling the family silver. In the midst of this crisis, the irrepressible young snoop investigates the beating of a gypsy fortune-teller and the murder of a local thief, which seem somehow connected to a group of religious eccentrics, an antique shop, a missing baby, and a strange, fishy smell. Sound complicated? It is, but Bradley handles it so well you hardly notice. Buttressed by consistently quirky characters and an English country-village backdrop, Flavia�s chatterbox narration reveals the amateur sleuth�s obnoxiousness as well as her intellegence and irrepressible curiosity. The upshot is a spirited, surprisingly innocent tale, despite murky goings-on at its center. Think of Flavia as a new Sherlock in the making

This is the 3rd Flavia de Luce book I have read, and probably the best so far.  Mr Bradley has created quite a unique character in Flavia.  Highly intelligent for an 11 year old, and yet typical in so many other ways.. like getting even with her older sisters.

I love that her “buddy in arms” is a bicycle named Gladys. (and remember my “Nellie belle” fondly). 

I think each book has gotten a little more substance to it and this time he outdid himself, involving one “near murder” and a murder…and a possible murder all rolled into on book!  The only thing that hasn’t happened so far that I thought would have is that she would age a little with each book.

One has to admit to Flavia’s charm.  Her descriptive way about her.. if I may quote a modest line from Miss Flavia: There are not many things I despise, but chiefest among them is skin on milk.  I loathe it with a passion.  Not even the thought of the marvelous chemical change that forms the stuff…the milk’s proteins churned and ripped apart by the heat of boiling, then reassembling themselves as they cool into a jellied skin…was enough to console me.  I would rather eat a cobweb.”  A “not so” typical 11 year old wouldn’t you say?!

I don’t like to give much away so I will just say that this one was very enjoyable.. unfortunately I don’t have the next book but eventually I’ll be sending for it!  I hope that if you like mysteries and could use a bit of laughter along the way…this may well be the series you should try!

Before I leave I’d like to put up a photo of something I had made eons ago and I used to frame it and set it under my tree… the “lustful Lil” part is what I was known as in the DeForest Kelley Fan Club…for reasons just like this!..

dearsanta[1]

..and so .. from Santa and me…  Merry Christmas to All….

hohoanimation7[1]

….and to all, ….. a good night!

dec221[1]

A Very Merry Christmas from me and Boo !!

9 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I really really loved A Red Herring Without Mustard. Each Flavia book seems to be a little bit better.

1:03 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOIU & BOO, DEAR PAT....I HOPE SANTA IS VERY VERY GOOD TO YOU AND BOO!

1:04 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

becky: yes, I am finding the same thing liking each book a bit more.

Naomi: My thoughts are with you and dear Sweetie

3:56 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Red Herring too, huge fun. I also hate the skin on boiled milk. Ugh ugh ugh.

Merry Christmas to you, Pat. Love the photo of De. LOL!

6:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I hope you and Peter and your whole family have a most fantastic Christmas ever! xoxo

7:22 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I think Red Herring is the best of the books thus far, too. Just loved it. I so enjoy her relationship with her bicycle and they were especially fun together in this book. Glad you enjoyed it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

should have read this before I bought my 9 year old granddaughter some Christmas stuff. This seems like a great book!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I hope you had a very merry Christmas, Pat!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sorry I didn't get by sooner to say Merry Christmas. Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home