My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Books of 2011

So… it’s wrap up time for our reading year…. wow… hard to believe another year has gone by!..

Anyway, here’s the list I kept of the books I read…

2011pt1[1]

 2011pt2[1]

1. Best Book You Read In 2011?

    It might be Moonstone by Wilke Collins. 

I’ve come a long way to like Wilke.

41H7[1]
2. Most Disappointing Book that You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

     Dragons Time by Todd McCaffrey.  I so wanted Anne’s son to do Pern and the Dragons justice but after 7 books I have given up on them.  I expected a new time and new characters etc.. but some of the bigger basic facts I felt needed to stay the same.


3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

     I read a 562 page Biography on Charles Dickens by Fred Kaplan and was surprised that it held my interest for such a large book.

    41z[1]

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

    Maybe, A Walk in The Woods by Bill Bryson.

51FH[1]

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?

    Argh, ok I will say The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries by Gyles Brandreth. (thanks Cath!)


6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

     Ummm, Gyles Brandreth for the Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries

     Alan Bradley for the Flavia mysteries

     and Patrick Rossfuss for his two books Name of the Wind and Wise Man’s Fear


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

    That would be A Walk in The Woods.


8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?

    Well I always seem to rush thru Michael Scotts newest book on Nicholas Flamel, Warlock. But that’s a given anymore lol.  There were two books by new authors to me and a bit not my usual thing that I really enjoyed them both. They would be: Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin and Waiting For Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk.

 51k3DbO5[1]            51mg[1]                 
9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
    There are two: Michael Scotts :
Warlock 

61-e[1]            41LY[1]    

    and Jonathan Straud’s  : The Ring of Solomon


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
    
Plucker by Brom

51P6[1]         51vk8[1]

      Map of Time by Felix J Palma


11. Most memorable character in 2011?
   

  I have to stick with the two anticipated books here and say Nicholas Flamel , Warlock and Bartimaeus.   The Ring of Solomon


12. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?

       Moonstone.  I had it on my tbr pile for 2 years. *groan*


I guess that’s about all she wrote….  It wasn’t my best reading year but not my worst either, I guess this is about what I can expect as my eyes get worse.. so I’m not complaining!

I still have so many books in my tbr pile that I not only need to get to but want to get to!!  My problem is, I read 4 and I buy 4 and my tbr never gets lower!!!! (I’ve got to stay away from that used book store!…yeah.. right… sure!)

Cheers! And I raise my glass to a Happy New Year and to another year of good reading!!

Happy 2012 Everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

What strikes me is the lovely eclectic mix of books on your list, Pat. I'm thinking perhaps some of it is stuff you wouldn't have read just a few years back? Which I think is a wonderful thing. Happy New Year to you, Sis! Hoping to do a post like this myself at some stage. *Hoping*. LOL.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I am SO GLAD you discovered Wilkie Collins. I just LOVE him. I haven't read a Collins yet that has disappointed me. If you do like Collins, maybe there's a chance you'll enjoy other Victorians like Anthony Trollope!

You do have some great books/authors on your list. Some of which I've read, some that I haven't got to quite yet.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I really enjoyed The Moonstone - I've read it several times since I read it as a teenager. It's lovely and mysterious and gothic, isn't it? How lovely it made your best of the year!!!

You did have an eclectic year of reading, and 58 books read is a good read! You're out there taking gorgeous photos to get us through our winter, remember? lol

Happy 2012 and happy reading to you, Pat.

1:18 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is absolutely AWESOME Pat....58 Books!!! Incredible...That is more than one a week....! To me, that is a lot of great reading!!!

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, MY DEAR.

4:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

susan: isn't it strange how you read Moonstone as a Teenager and I didn't read it until I was 67!
Happy New Year Susan, I hope it's a great one for you!

Naomi: Happy New Year ! I hope 2012 proves to be a good one for us all!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Happy New Year, Pat!!!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You had a great 2011 for reading! I still need to read Wilkie Collins...maybe in 2012?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Daniel B. said...

Happy New Year Pat ! "Winnie the Pooh" makes for some fun reading. And the movie that just came out is really good :-)

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home