My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 09, 2011

A Fine and Private Place

 rip64001[1]

(This is my 6th book for RIP)

A Fine and Private Place by Peter S Beagle.

Paperback: 296 pages
Publisher: Tachyon Publications (May 28, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1892391465

beagle[1]

Amazon.com Review

Conversing in a mausoleum with the dead, an eccentric recluse is tugged back into the world by a pair of ghostly lovers bearing an extraordinary gift--the final chance for his own happiness. When challenged by a faithless wife and aided by a talking raven, the lives of the living and the dead may be renewed by courage and passion, but only if not belatedly. Told with an elegiac wisdom, this delightful tale of magic and otherworldly love is a timeless work of fantasy imbued with hope and wonder. After multiple printings since 1960, this newest edition will contain the author's recent revisions and will stand as the definitive version of an ageless classic.

I wasn’t sure I’d like this book but then I kept thinking, *why not? I liked The Graveyard book by Gaiman*, so when I saw it for only 4.99 I bought it.

I will admit up front that they way I’ve been feeling I almost put the book down..not because it wasn’t enjoyable but because of how I’ve been lately…but I pushed on ever so slowly,  and I did like the book quite a lot.

Basically it’s about a man named  Rebeck who lives in a cemetery.  He’s lived there for years and he can see and talk to ghosts.

Honestly, even though I just said the words cemetery and ghosts in the description I’m not sure it belongs in RIP, because it’s certainly not a scary story!

I don’t want to say too much about the book because it’s not a big book and I don’t want to give away what actually happens to Rebeck  and his ghost friends.  I will say that you eventually learn more about Rebeck and you learn the stories of a few ghosts within the cemetery and along the way you review some of life’s lessons.  It’s really a sort of comfort read…. if one can say that about a cemetery.

This book would be an enjoyable read any time of the year….but I guess it does belong in RIP…I have to admit, there aren’t many feel good cemetery books around.. you might want to read this one!

9 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Wow, that sounds like the nicest graveyard ghost story ever :D

7:50 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It does sound like a really good story, my dear...And, not too scary, from what you say....

When I looked at the cover I was reminded of your post about the names of the author being BIGGER than the Title....Did you feel that way about this books cover?

10:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: if you have a chance to read it I think you'll enjoy it

naomi: oh yes! when I look for a book I am looking for a title not an author's name! It very much drives me crazy!!!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

...'there aren't many feel good cemetary books around'

LOL! No indeed. I've heard a lot about this one, and I liked his 'Tamsin', so if I see it anytime, I'll grab it.

11:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: it is probably better then I wrote because nothing is really "good" to me lately..I think you would like it though!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow, you are on a roll Pat. And here I thought you completed the challenge after you read your fourth!

12:20 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: I did but I keep reading for rip until Halloween lol

9:39 AM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I had this on my list years ago and never read it. Of course, the reason I put it on the list is that the title is a line from one of my favorite poems. Now it is back on the list!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

So, this is an author that I want to read and love, but it never happens. :(

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home