My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 08, 2011

Bitch, bitch, bitch

Ummm, why yes I think I will get on the soap box today… how lucky can you get?

I have to say… I am not in love with Windows 7… not in the least!

And yes, I am old and therefore I do not like change (especially when nothing is broken)  however, I do know once i get used to it (I am told) I will like it.  Not gunna happen…but I also know I have no choice………which is what REALLY ticks me off!

*land of the free* but I can’t choose what I want…what’s so free about that?

Ok before I get too far off base I ‘ll choose something *small* to bitch about……. Explorer 9.  below is what my  IE looks like….. please notice the address bar..

goo1[1]

…. or I should say… Lack Of. 

goo2[1]

Ohhh my! will you look below!  A REAL address bar!  One that you can read the address in!  One that lets you see the WHOLE address so that you can see if you happened (which is most likely) to have made a typo!   Wow, now why would anyone NOT want to see what they have typed in an address bar??  Beats me! I know I make typo’s but if I can’t see it I can’t fix it… dumb butts that made a small address bar!

GOO7[1]

While we are on the address bar… look at that below… what the hell is it?  what happened to my very long list of places I was at the other day??????  Now I only get the last 5?    what the hell good is history and favorites to me?  If I want favorites I’ll open my favorites list!  I want my LONG LIST of places I've been all week long dammit!

 goo3[1]

Next:   my Google search bar… it’s always been a good thing for me.  I can type in a word I want to search or even a question I want to find an answer to…

goo5[1]

Excuse me?!  I type one letter and the whole freeking page changes?!!  With one letter they think they know what I want?  Get real …let me type what I want !  And I want my normal Google bar in the middle where it belongs!  And i don’t want all that crap below !

goo4[1]

Ahhh and then there’s the favorites list… anyone remember that for many MANY YEARS it was on the left side?  (and yes I know I can pin it on the left side) But please tell me how moving it to the right side helped any????  it’s still a favorites list..nothing much changed EXCEPT some A.Hole decided to move it..for no apparent reason!

goo6[1]

I want my old IE back… does anyone know if I can put an older version of IE on Windows 7?  (I really do NOT like windows 7!)

And I will never understand why everything made for computers gives us NO CHOICE what so ever! Oh, I know they want to sell their “new and improved” versions…but why does it have to be forced on us??

I read some articles before I decided to write this post and I even checked out FoxFire….and they all say the same things: how those that tested Beta versions would tell them what was right and wrong and what they liked and didn’t like…. ummmm, excuse me but to my knowledge the only people who test Beta versions of anything are the YOUNG and or the TECHY type…so things get changed/ fixed/ and moved….but they leave out CHOICE.  Why don’t these companies make the *bigger and better* programs but also give a choice of having a *plain and simple version* for those of us who are no longer YOUNG or not TECHY types?   Once again we are left out to dry.

I remember when I first got on to a PC.  Back then there was, a very popular program called AOL… it was advertised as “USER FRIENDLY” …and I have to admit that since I didn’t know   *boot up* from someone booting me in the butt… AOL was truly “user friendly” (I am not saying everyone should or did love aol)… a term everyone has forgotten because, bigger is better,…but not in the eyes of everyone.

So soon, everyone will have to be a Tech Guru in order just to open the *simplest program*… how sad that  always the oldest and the not so bright people are left behind because no one can offer *plain and simple* or a *user friendly* version as a choice to all the fast growing technology.

Ok.. I am off the soap box…but I really do want to know if an older version of IE can be put on windows 7…so if anyone knows ..please let me know.  (It probably can’t…just because that would be considerate !)

15 Comments:

Blogger barrettmanor said...

You can change the size of the address bar in IE 9 by dragging it. There are also extensions you can download that will "skin" it to look like IE 8. IE 9 is a better browser in terms of security and standards compliance, but it's a nightmare in terms of user experience. You'll find there are plenty of extensions to help you out, though! ;-)

Try this link for Google: http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en

That will turn off autocomplete.

11:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hmmm it says you can drag it to the task bar but not exted the size where it is... I tried for 20 minutes and nothing to extend the size ... the big E is already on my "task bar" down below

11:36 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I'm not fond of IE9 either. The thing I miss the most is being able to select a previous page to go back to. I know I can go back a page, but I liked being able to hit the down arrow and select a specific one. I can't figure out how to do that now.

By the way, if you right click near the address bar and click "Show tabs on a separate row", that should give you a full sized address bar. Hope that helps a little.

11:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

marie: ohhhh! thank you soooooo much~ that worked!! now i can SEE my typo's when they happen! lol
btw: click the tiny down arrow on the right side of HISTORY and it shows more places you sent... gotta love having to do more steps to do the things that were once Easy!

11:49 AM  
Blogger barrettmanor said...

I think I found the trick! Right-click on the top of the window (above the address bar, where you have the icons to minimize, maximize, and close the window). Select "Show tabs in a separate row. That will do exactly as it says on the tin and move the tabs down, which will allow the address bar to expand.

11:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi again Julie! Yes, yes, I found that!! every little thing helps..but I still wonder why there can't be a easy version of everything and a version for those who want all the new bells and whistles!!! argh! lol

11:55 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am SOOO with you on all of this, Pat. VISTA was Horrible and Windows 7 is just VISTA rearranged a bit...!!!!!
AOL is STILL the Best, most user friendly thing for email, in my opinion....!
I don't envy you the frustration and soon, I will be going through this myself---I have to get a NEW computer...!!!

Everyone I know who has a Mac says I should switch to that..BUT, again, 'the learning curve'...And if I don't like it??? What the hell do I do then???

I HATE that they change stuff and as you said it is NOT based on people like you and me, using it to tell them--NO! NO! NO! WRONG!!!

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
One word explains it all:

GREED.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I wasn't a big fan of Windows 7 when I got it either. I had Windows XP for so long I was a bit lost... It's been two months now, though, and I am doing a lot better. I can't really help you with IE, though. It used to annoy me a few versions ago, so I changed to Google Chrome and mostly like it...

3:43 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I still use Aol for my mail. Firefox is what I use for my internet provider although explorer is on my pc also. I very seldom use it. When I had this computer built I had them put XP on it. My daughter has windows 7 but I just looked at it a bit and didn't try anything on it. I hope you soon get used to it. Looks like you had several people to give some advice on it. Helen

4:43 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

My IE doesn't look like that, but I guess it's because i'm still running Vista. I'm so glad there were others that were able to help :D

6:03 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

My internet provider is Cable One. Foxfire is what I use once I get online. Boy that was a blunder LOL. Helen

6:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: you got that right! but those who build them are all almost geniuses ..like we commoners are supposed to know what they know? not likely!

kelly: what enrages me is that you can always upgrade but you can't downgrade..this is part of the FORCED to use that makes me mad as hell!

Helen: I can get around but it's annoying as all get out. I know I will get used to it eventually but it doesn't mean I have to like it.. in fact, I sit here with a new computer and I find now I am coming on it less than ever before...it doesn't seem fun anymore. I am sure my age has to do with it too..i was happy with what i had..many are always wanting more..not me.

oh geez Kelly I can't believe I am saying this but..windows 7 is better than Vista!! It's just no where near better than xp!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

This looks like a nightmare. And as I'm seriously thinking of getting a new laptop soon, in case my pc gives up, I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to cope with Windows7 if I can't even cope with the new FB!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I love Windows 7 personally, but have always hated IE. I would suggest loading Mozilla Firefox myself, it has all the same tab functionality of the later versions of IE but just looks and works nicer, in my opinion. Plus you can easily load really cool themes and it updates itself regularly with no work from you the user.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I feel your pain Pat. I just had my work computer upgraded and it is so different and it is driving me nuts! I don't use IE at all. I use Firefox here at work and at home on my MAC. I HATE IE!!! Hopefully someone will be able to help you but my advice is to use Firebox instead of IE. I know that involves more change though so maybe that isn't such a good idea :(

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home