My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman.
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile (July 8, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0399250964



From School Library Journal
Starred Review. Feeling left out from her stepfamily at home and from her classmates at her new school, Elizabeth is delighted when she gets a job at the New York Circulating Material Repository, a library that loans objects of historical value. She's particularly intrigued when she's given access to the Grimm Collection, a secret room that holds magical objects from the Brothers' tales, e.g., seven-league boots, a mermaid's comb, and the sinister mirror from "Snow White." However, when the items start to disappear, she and her fellow pages embark on a dangerous quest to catch the thief, only to find themselves among the suspects. This modern fantasy has intrigue, adventure, and romance, and the magical aspects of the tale are both clever and intricately woven, from rhyming charms to flying-carpet rides. The author brings the seemingly disparate elements together in the end, while still making certain that her protagonist's problems are not completely solved by the world of magic. Shulman's prose is fast paced, filled with humor, and peopled with characters who are either true to life or delightfully bizarre. Fans of fairy tales in general and Grimm stories in particular will delight in the author's frequent literary references, and fantasy lovers will feel very much at home in this tale that pulls out all the stops.—
First off I will say that the cover to this book is really eyecatching and probably as much to blame for me getting the book as anything else.
Having said that and having read the review I thought this book would have a bit more of a mystery feeling to it, but it turns out to be a YA book that is for a bit younger reader then most that I have read. 
It would be an excellent book to read to a child.  But it was a bit too "youngish" for my taste.
It is well written although I never really felt that I knew the characters well enough and never felt the story was quite strong enough.  But that all could be just the fact that it is written for maybe someone 8 yrs old? 
So, yes I was a bit disappointed, but only because I had thought it was for a bit older  (teenager?) person and so would be a little  more in the characters and in the entire story.
If you have a child that likes stories either read to them or is a reader on their own, this would most likely be an excellent book for them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

It does have a great cover! Probably not for me, though.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

My grand-daughter might like this so will make a note of it. A shame it wasn't quite what you thought it would be. I hate it when that happens.

I really am going to get lunch now. ;-)

6:54 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

LOL-I bet I would adore it! And of course, I can buy it to read to the boys and never have to admit that it was really *me* who wanted to read it, right? :)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

My daughter might like this one! thanks, Pat! I've heard of this book too, so I was glad to see your review. I will keep in mind what you've said and see if I agree, when we get it.

6:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly, cath,debi, & susan: I've read books for younger than the teens and enjoyed them.. and i liked this book too but I think i was disappointed because I expected it to be for "teens"..my expectations were just to high..the cover doesn't even look like it for the very young! lol

6:04 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like an interesting book--But, when you said it was really written for a yoinger audience---well, that is too bad, isn't it? Great for the very young, not so good for a somewhat older audience....!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home