My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The BFG...(Big Friendly Giant)

The B F G by Roald  Dahl...(for his daughter Olivia.)
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Puffin (August 16, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0142410381


Illustrated by Quentin Blake...
Amazon.com Review
Evidently not even Roald Dahl could resist the acronym craze of the early eighties. BFG? Bellowing ferret-faced golfer? Backstabbing fairy godmother? Oh, oh ... Big Friendly Giant! This BFG doesn't seem all that F at first as he creeps down a London street, snatches little Sophie out of her bed, and bounds away with her to giant land. And he's not really all that B when compared with his evil, carnivorous brethren, who bully him for being such an oddball runt. After all, he eats only disgusting snozzcumbers, and while the other Gs are snacking on little boys and girls, he's blowing happy dreams in through their windows. What kind of way is that for a G to behave?
The BFG is one of Dahl's most lovable character creations. Whether galloping off with Sophie nestled into the soft skin of his ear to capture dreams as though they were exotic butterflies; speaking his delightful, jumbled, squib-fangled patois; or whizzpopping for the Queen, he leaves an indelible impression of bigheartedness.
My *adopted* son Chris sent me this book. (and I am thankful for such a caring and giving son!)  After reading Roald's biography I felt I needed to read more of his books. I had long ago read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach to my sons when they were young. (back in the stone age!)
Had this book been out when they were still young I would have loved to read it to them.  It's a great book to read to young children! 
I loved the speech that Roald gave to the BFG.  It wasn't quite correct and it made it all the funnier because of it.  I am after all I am a *human bean*..:o)
The amazon review says it all, I couldn't say more about it.
If you have a young child or if you have a young grandchild this book is for you and you will always be glad that I let you know about it!!
I am guessing that no matter what his life was like (and it wasn't all peaches and creme)for Mr Dahl, that a big  part of Roald loved children and loved never quite growing up.
This is a super book.  Get it and give it to some child for any reason you can find... they will thank you for it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I read The Witches last year, but otherwise it has been years since I read Dahl!

7:26 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Just wondering how you are fairing during the IRENE Scare---I hope all is okay, my dear Pat....

To me, this sounds like a very scary book. A child being kidnaped by a Big Giant?? Nooooo. I think I will pass on this one...(lol)

8:39 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I so so so need to read this!! Sounds really good :) Oh, and it looks like The Witches has FINALLY shipped to you!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Can you believe I haven't read much Dahl? I think I've only read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Mathilda. I really need to do something about that! Maybe I should adopt Chris as a brother.... hm....

1:57 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I have yet to read this one, but I love me some Roald Dahl and love Quentin Blake's illustrations. They are quintessentially Dahl and I couldn't imagine anyone else doing work for his books. Kind of like Lewis Carroll and John Tenniel to me.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

This was one of my son's favorites when he was younger. I always loved this one too!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I ADORE this book. So glad you loved it too.

11:54 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Read this one to all of my children...great fun :D So glad you enjoyed it

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home