My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
Paperback: 320 pages (hb 272 pgs)
Publisher: MacMillan (January 2011)
ISBN-10: 0230753051 



From Publishers Weekly
Franklin's third novel (after Smonk) is a meandering tale of an unlikely friendship marred by crime and racial strain in smalltown Mississippi. Silas Jones and Larry Ott have known each other since their late 1970s childhood when Silas lived with his mother in a cabin on land owned by Larry's father. At school they could barely acknowledge one another, Silas being black and Larry white, but they secretly formed a bond hunting, fishing, and just being boys in the woods. When a girl goes missing after going on a date with Larry, he is permanently marked as dangerous despite the lack of evidence linking him to her disappearance, and the two boys go their separate ways. Twenty-five years later, Silas is the local constable, and when another girl disappears, Larry, an auto mechanic with few customers and fewer friends, is once again a person of interest.
5 words: I couldn't put it down!
What an enjoyable little book!!  I am not a fan the "old south and racial problems"... well, not to read them anyway.. I am old enough to have lived through much of it and I don't need reminders of any discrimination.
But this book grabbed me and  took off like a shot and never stopped.  It didn't take long for me to feel for both of these boys/ men, Silas Jones and Larry Ott, and once that happened I had to keep reading to know how things would turn out.
If you were a good detective (which I'm not) you'd figure out things faster then I did, but it doesn't matter much because the book just reeks with excellent writing and a story wanting to be told.
There are some sad parts to be sure, but there is a lot of good to be read also...
Tom Franklin, wrote in simple words, and wrote just like you could hear a voice telling the story...I am certainly going to have to check on his other books to see if anything sounds interesting, because I really REALLY enjoyed this book.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I wish I could just check books out of your library

6:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pamela: lol to bad we aren't neighbors!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You can't get much better than "I couldn't put it down". This one was already on my list and now I feel even better about that.

7:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: a few good reviews did it for me but it was still different from my normal reading. sometimes I think the simple story and simple writing is best..it flowed from the book to my head.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think it's your mission today to add to my tbr mountain. LOL! This sounds terrific and yet another one to add to my list...

6:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I don't feel badly because at least you use the library when possible! lol..

5:39 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat, you're an enabler, you are.

This one just went on my list. It sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the great review.

cjh

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home