My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hey, Pumpkin'

Ok..so.. first off I want to thank (?) Debi (the wonder woman) for inspiring me to try to crochet some ...uhmmm... things other than afghans..

For those who don't know... I was sent this little pumpkin which Debi made... little did I know it would lead to driving me nuts trying to find "eyes" and leading me to blindness trying to crochet with the small needle and fat  yarn!..        (he is cute though dang it all!)

So ...

I found these patterns (again thanks to Debi, because I was having no luck what so ever finding a crochet book with them in it).  I have two others to try yet...

My first attempts were to make an owl and a penguin.

The owl is fairly quick but the eyes are "glued" since I was unable to find the sort I really wanted..even the renowned "Michael's" only had glue eyes.  The problem being I don't know how well the eyes will STAY glued on to an uneven surface like yarn.

The Penguin on the other hand..(argh!)  First off it took nearly 1/2 day to make it! .. this Penguin is going to be an Orphan!  Don't think I will try that one again!.. oh boy did I ever forget what it's like to crochet with BLACK yarn!! You can't see what the heck you are doing.. I was crocheting blind!!  Of course I didn't have the proper eyes for it either.. what I used is felt and I don't like it.. I needed the eyes that Debi had.. much smaller .

While I was trying to take photo's Boo came around.. I don't think he was thrilled thinking he now had to share a tiny 2 room apt with yet another animal!  (the owl looked away pretending the huge monster did not exist!)

Here's a shot of the two orphans and "pumpkin boy" who started it all.

... I am much better at afghans! Honest I am!

22 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Cute chubby penguin!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I love how Debi's pumpkins are taking over the world :D I named mine Mervyn - what's yours called? :P

And Pat, your critters are brilliant too! They really are :D

8:41 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I keep thinking about doing some of these, but they require attention while crocheting. My favorite patterns are repetitive and allow me to watch TV while I crochet LOL! I have collected a couple of sites that have 'how-tos' and lists places to get supplies, and even a couple of free patterns. Let me know if you want any of them ;p

9:14 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tink: i think his name is "argh!" lol

nymeth: me too lol..soon we will need to pay her for her autograph! lol

JJ: looking for an adult "stocking hat" got any? crochet only.. i don't knit

9:21 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I love these, especially the penguin. He is a bit of a chub which is what makes him so cute. Reminds me of Topper from the Rankin-Bass special, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town! I can hear him honking right now.

Very cool that the darling little pumpkin (which looks great atop the Treebeard like thing...or maybe it is Treebeard?) inspired you to try something like this. I love em!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

Um, those are ridiculously adorable. Well done you!

10:55 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I think your penguin is a cutie! And the owl looks wise! They're adorable.

I'm watching a movie with De in it called "Warlock". I think he's about to be killed by Henry Fonda...

cjh

11:01 AM  
Anonymous BooksPlease said...

I must have a go at crochet - these are lovely. I've only tried it once - many years ago and wasn't happy with my efforts.

11:43 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Carl!!.. dunno if he's a treebeard.. he is a letter opener lol..and yeah Debi's pumpkin is such a cutie lol I love him to death

thank you Jenny. I don't crochet the best but somewhat anyway

cj: I love Warlock! DeForest had the funniest story to tell about when he made that movie!
Here's a link to an old post about that movie and De..
http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2006/05/southern-gentleman-cowboy.html

11:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

margaret: once is never enough! We never get it perfect the first time..so I hope you try again one day!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Kathleen said...

Well as someone who has crocheted (only afghans) I think you did a superb job! They are absolutely adorable.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Too cute. Can't wait to see what else you make. :-)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh Pat! They're so adorable!!!!!!! I love them both!!! (I'm going to have to see if I can find that owl pattern.) And I love that pic of Boo...he does look likes he's trying to get rid of the competition there, doesn't he? Oh, and in case you didn't see my tweet the other day...your afghans are positively gorgeous!

BTW...you know what was mailed. Should arrive and give her a big surprise on Tuesday.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, these are so cute, Pat! If you're better at afghans than these, those must look absolutely amazing! O_O

(Seriously, you're doing yourself and your skills a disservice.) The owl is my favourite, though. I just want to pick it up and cuddle it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: ummm not according to directions LOL.. but thanks Kathleen lol

Cath: theres a Piggy yet lol


OMG Debi!! I know I will hear the squeal all they way in fla! LOL LOL.. I emailed you the patterns

5:12 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

OMG I'm in love with them Pat :D Especially the little owl!!!! That is the cutest damn thing ever :D You should seriously consider opening up an etsy store! You could make some extra money with cute little critters like that :)

6:34 PM  
Anonymous She said...

Adorable! The owl is so awesome!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

They are all cute! I can't crochet if my life depended on it, so I don't know what you are complaining about! :)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Memory said...

The penguin may've been a pain to make, but he sure is cute! I'd say he's worth it. :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: what's with the owl? lol second person who (whooo? heh) liked the owl

she: ummm.. 3rd person lol

kelly: that's ok I can't sew to save my life! so we are even lol

memory: I was beginning to think that not only is the penguin going to be an orphan but get zero on the popularity list lol.. thanks

7:05 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I love your little critters. That is a good project you have going. Helen

10:37 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think you did very very well! I have never crocheted...Not a very good sewer at all...So I am impressed with your two little cuties!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home