My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Day the "Cold Front" Came Through

This first picture is of a very small bird and it is totally across the pond from my apartment.  Had I not been watching his flight I never would have known where to zoom to... of course his back is to me but  I think he may be some sort of Kingfisher.   So I grabbed my handy-dandy bird book my sister-in-law sent me and found the pic next to mine....

  

Looks like I have a winner! Looks like the bottom Kingfisher. 

I have seen him twice now, very early morning but he moves fast and doesn't stay around. From the time I saw him and grabbed my camera he was already in flight and I watched as he landed in a tree on the far side of the pond.  I hope I get a good picture of him one day.. gosh.. my first "small bird!"

My buddy the Egret was out and right in front of my apt the other day..

No matter which way the Egret  looked it seemed the fish were always jumping anywhere but near him~

"Dead Eye" showed up and strolled over by me to hunt.

Every time he aims he catches what he's after.

maybe it's because he stays close to me but I can't seem to stop taking pictures of him and they are getting to look all alike! argh~

Later it clouded up and the wind blew like there was no tomorrow and then the sky opened!   It poured for about 10 minutes and stopped.

When night was about to arrive it looked like this.

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE that little Kingfisher...What a darling looking little Bird he is....I Love those feathers on top of his head stickinf up kind of like a Mohawk...lol.....The Pond is really beautiful and I love all your pictures of all the wonderful Birds that come and visit---So, to me, it doesn't matter if they look similar or alike....I just love that you can photograph all of them in all their Beauty and that you do!
Great pictures of the Downpour and of the day ending in such a beautiful way.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

More pond loveliness! I love kingfishers...one of my favorite birds! :D

7:02 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Little birds!! What a cute little guy :D And what a torrential downpour that is!! That's my favorite kind of rain...heavy, heavy rain. I figure if it's going to rain, it might as well be relaxing. Not just drizzly and annoying. And that final picture is just beautiful!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: i really hope i get a good pic of the kingfisher one day!!!

debi: the sound attracted me first because I couldn't find the bird making the noise! lol

Chris: umm no.. it doesn't drizzle around here very often! lol

1:40 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh that's pretty cool to see the kingfisher. I don't know how common that bird would be in the US but for me in the UK who's never seen such a bird... that's amazing. And I love the pond shots.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I enjoy the Belted Kingfisher -- except when he eats my pond fish.

lovely shots, as usual. Like I said.. you need to hang them in a gallery.

We had rain like that last w/e in Portland, OR. We were at our daughters and thank goodness hadn't headed out of the apartment yet.

It was just like that -- and running down the street and into the patio

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow what a downpour but what a nice ending to the day!

11:47 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

We have some of those Kingfishers around here on the ponds and rivers but I have never been able to get a picture of one. All the pictures are lovely. Helen

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home