My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pairing at the Pond

Well, well... my new bird book just came in pretty handy!

Yesterdays photo's of the Anhinga... I failed to mention that it was a male.  Today I took a picture when I say an Anhinga on the floater.. this one did not have a brown neck and head.  The book tells me this is the female!!  Hello?  How cool would it be one day to see baby Anhinga's out there!! woohoo!

They aren't here all the time so I don't know where they would nest, but if they do I hope they bring the babies back here to fish!

 

Another notice... now there are two adult Moodhens!  And one keeps chasing the young ones away!.. I do think some hanky-panky is in the future here!

 

And least but not least.. I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten aching arms trying to get a picture of the dang Mullet that jump all the time in the pond!  All the time EXCEPT when I am camera ready! 

But I got one today!  It's not the best and I'll keep trying for a better shot but there just no telling when or where in the pond they will jump!  Sometimes they look as if someone has shot them out of the water with a sling shot!

11 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Very good pictures Pat. I like that fish jumping out of the water. Thanks for the comment in my blog. I hope you have a great day. Hugs, Helen

8:29 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

That fish jumping out of the water is amazing - well done for having the patience!

And I'd never before heard of an Anhinga. I thought it looked like a cormorant so I dug out *my* (1986) version of the Peterson's 'First guide to Birds' and looked it up. They do liken it to a cormorant but its other name is Water Turkey. You learn something new every day and thanks to you, Pat, I now know a little more about American birds.

8:50 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Helen: I do so hope things get better for your daughter. It distresses me more than you know.

Cath: They are so very close that they must be related but the beaks are quite different.. that picture back aways of the Anhinga that speared the fish.. i often wondered how it finally got it off of it's beak! lol
In all honesty I don't consider myself a bird watcher/ person but they are a good "filler" for me to keep the blog going in between reads!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I never thought of myself as a bird watcher either, but aren't they entertaining? I think it's great that, as much as this move upset you, you landed in a spot with such interesting creatures to watch and photograph.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

*pokes her own mush-for-brain* It is too hoooot here... (Mind you, come winter I'll be complaining about the cold.)

I have to say, I love the pictures of the Moorhen feet and the anhinga. I'd never heard of such a bird before, but I do love the name and they're such pretty things! (And so lovely to see a picture of both the male and the female!) ^-^

1:52 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

So, I think it's amazing that you caught a fish in mid leap. I'd never have the patience to do it. I can barely wait for the dog to settle down for a photo!

cjh

2:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Donna..it's hard to ignor what's in front of your face lol

Thank you Shanra.. it will be really nice if I see babies from the Anhinga!

cj.. blind luck ! if you try enough times one is bound to jump in front of the camera lol

5:39 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

OMGosh, Pat, I can't believe you captured that fish...that is truly amazing! I'll bet I'd be just like you though, my arms would be aching away because I'd be so darn determined to get a picture.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

re: the fish! you are getting some amazing photos.

Does your bird book tell you where the Anhinga nest?

11:33 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is just amazing, Pat...The Mullett, I mean....You Did Great!
I cannot get over the interesting Variety of Birds that come to your Pond....It is like a very special Bird Sanctuary....I adore seeing all the pictures because I've never seen many of these birds, at all....!

1:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: lets not discuss how long it took to get that picture (*said a bit sarcastically!) lol

Pam: no the book doesn't say about nesting... and I had them backwards! the Female is the buff necked on.. the all black is the male.. (bigger stronger female woooooo)

Naomi: well we are getting even now since I love your hawk and hummingbird pics so much!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home