My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Here & There...

Ok.. so..

The picture below is Chris.  Everyone knows Chris, he has the blog Stuff as Dreams are Made On.  He's a cutie isn't he?!  He's also my "adopted son".  You'd think he'd give good advice to his second Mom wouldn't you?

Let me tell you what he thought would be a good idea. 

We were talking on the phone the other day.  Among many things discussed we talked about my moving to Florida and the extreme possibility that maybe I could find a small part time job.  You know just one day a week.. or two..but nothing more.  And do you want to know what my cutie pie son suggested?.. (well, I'll tell you even if you don't want to know!)

Cutie Pie suggested I get a job in a book store!

Hello?!

Me?

In a book store?

I thought the idea of working was to bring money home, not owe more than you make!

Can you imagine him even suggesting such a thing?  I mean.. really!  This from a son that has a tbr pile of books bigger than the pile he's read for the last 3 years! (ok, maybe that's exaggerated.. but to be honest, I'm not sure!)

I did kinda get loud on the phone when he mentioned the book store idea.  Heh.. I mean come on baby boy, you know me well enough by now to know I'd owe the dang store more than I'd earn!!!... and so would you!  Afterall... you are my son!   :o)

Just thought I would share that intimate moment between "mother and adopted son".   You have to admit.. it was a precious moment. ... and one we both laughed about the minute he said it! lol.

*********************************************

While we were on the phone I noticed the mailman's truck outside my house.  I knew the mail had come already and said something to Chris..  as always when great minds are thinking alike we both said, "maybe he brought a book!"   Cha!  I do love my son LOL..

And sure enough, later when I went down there I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me... There, in the mail, was an ARC copy of The Language of Bees by Laurie R King !  A new Mary Russell book!!!   

And..

And...

It's signed by Laurie R King!!!!

Oh man!  Is this great or what?!!  The ONLY downside is that I am far enough into the book I am reading that I don't want to set it aside, so this ARC will wait until I am finished reading  "Graceling".   Now the challenge is to not rush Graceling but to still enjoy it. 

Wow.. that will be as hard as walking out of a bookstore without any books!!!  But.. I guess somehow I will manage.

And as if that isn't enough great news there's more!...

I emailed Vickie who was the lady responsible for  my getting an ARC from Laurie R King.. she had this bit of news: 

She's planning two more books using the Touchstone characters, but she hasn't decided on what the next book is after Russell 10 (Working Title: The Green Man), which is the next one.

So there will be yet ANOTHER Mary Russell book AND two more books using the characters from Touchstone, which I really liked them too !!!

It's really something when you find an author that is prolific with their writing and you like soooo many of their books!  I've read all the Mary Russell books and although I can say I have "favorites" of them, they were all great reads!

Gosh!  I'm excited!  First time I've felt like this in some time.  It feels good..

Thank you so much Vickie and  Laurie R King!

20 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

This post makes me LOL because it was once suggested to me that a bookstore would be the perfect place for me to work. NOT! However, maybe a library would be a safe place. At least you don't buy the books there ;p

9:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

JJ: I think we all think alike on that one.. Chris and I did laugh a lot after I pointed out neither of us could do that! hahahaha

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

You know Pat... At the bookstore here they let you use it like a library. You can take home books as long as you don't ruin the covers... Maybe a bookstore like that wouldn't be so terrible for you?

I have always stayed away from working at bookstores myself. I mean, I know I can do the job and would probably be really good at it, but yeah, I'd probably buy too many books! One of my friends has a full-time job and then once a week she works at a bookstore. She uses the money from the bookstore to buy the books that she wants at said bookstore. I think that is a good idea!

The problem is that I have to beat her to work on her one shift because it is a second hand store and we read pretty much the same stuff, so she beats me to the good books!

12:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Kelly: well that would be great up to a point.. the point being: if I really like the book then I HAVE to have it so I can reread it again someday... soooooooooooooooo.. a bookstore would be a bad idea!! lol

12:17 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday! I am so glad.

I have the first Mary Russell book. the Beekeeper's Apprentice, in my library book stack that I really do need to read. I take it you would highly recommend it? :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Molly: ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Had a good laugh at the bookshop suggestion. ;-p

And wow!!! Just look at that signed copy of The Language of Bees! Wonderful, Pat. As is the news of the upcoming books. I still have Touchstone on my library pile and intend to get to that within the next week or two.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Oh, come on, give up and take Chris' advice. I worked in a bookstore and, yes, I had a slightly negative cash flow, but you could do something else on the side and in the meantime . . . such fun. It is great being surrounded by books, putting them on the shelf, answering questions about books, making recommendations. I loved it!

7:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath!! yup got the arc signed but I will still have to buy the hardback when it comes out to get the cover art! arghhhhhhhh! lol

Bookfool: SLIGHTLY negative? lol.. i know the feeling it's how I felt for many years when at star trek conventions that DeForest was at.. I'd always be answering questions.. and I love every minute of it because they loved De like I did! And books would be the same.. but no way can I be negative with money any more and my chances of working are actually pretty negative since I don't drive and nothing will be close by in fla... but I always hope.. I'd love to find a job to do from home on the computer but they are few and far between and I wasn't trained for anything really.. it was fun laughing with Chris over it though lol

8:23 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

LOL!! I love this post :D You cracked me up...so..did you turn in your application to Barnes and Noble yet ;) lol. Thanks for posting this Pat..I got a kick out of it. And I'm so happy that you got your Laurie King book!!! I really need to read the Beekeeper's Apprentice. That whole series sounds good. And now I have even MORE of a reason to want to read Touchstone too! There's more to the story!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Well I've heard that some stores (Borders I believe) will let you borrow the books as long as you bring them back by a certain time. If you don't or if you bring it back in damaged condition then they'll take it out of your pay. Congrats on your book! Hope you enjoy it :)

5:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: in your dreams! lol.. If you like mysteries and like sherlock holmes you will love Mary Russell... however.. need I remind you?? PERN.. PERN.. PERN.. :o)

Tink: youre a big help.. not! lol

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

Pat, you are very welcome for the book! :D It turned out to be one of my favorites of the Russell series, which is saying a *lot* given that it's my favorite series ever. So I'm also doing the happy dance over two Russells in a row--wooohooo! Happy reading, Pat!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'tis that you know yourself far better than I or I'd try to make a case for the bookstore part-time job as well. ^-~

Yesterday sounds like a terrific day, though. You deserve many, many more of such days! ^-^ *huggles* That's so sweet that your ARC was signed! That really is a wonderful kind of surprise, isn't it?

May the rest of your week be equally filled with good news, sweetling!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

This post left me grinning from ear to ear, Pat! It was soooo wonderful to hear a smile in your voice! May this just be the first in many sweet surprises to come. :)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I recall suggesting the same thing -- working in a book store.

You would need to make a budget (a spending budget) ... or just read books before and after work for free. heh heh.

7:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

libritouches: yeah I'd be a lost cause ..although probably not as bad as Chris if he worked at one! (ducking and running!)

Debi:it felt good. good doesn't stay by me very long.. but I am glad to hear there will be yet another Mary Russel book and another Touchstone book.. I hope I live long enough to read them!!(just meaning it takes long to get them written and then published~)

Pam: lets see.. "me.. a bookstore.. and a budget"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7:52 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Ooh, that is torture - new Mary Russell on one hand, Graceling on the other - an embarrassment of riches, eh?! I'm so excited about the new King novel.

8:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

darla: me too! but I have to say I am enjoying Graceling!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Awww...what a sweet post :D And hooray for the signed book!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home