My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chiller Show

It's been a while since there was something to look forward to, and the autograph show was always one for me.. but I had my doubts I would get there... but get there I did!

My friend Michelle and her son Donald, drove all the way up from Virginia (with a bad back) to do the show and so that we could see each other before my move. I was ever so grateful that the weather decided to more than cooperate and be almost summer-like! It was sunny and in the mid 70's!!

Having to severely, (if not totally) stop spending money other than buying what one NEEDS vs what one WANTS, I decided to go anyway and curb the spending instead of not doing any at all.

So I brought my fairly new (yet unread) book of American Prince by Tony Curtis with me since he was to be there to get it signed. I told myself if he charges 40.00 or more I won't do it.. well... he was a dear! photo's and your own book were only 25.00 ! So I got the book signed: (see below)

This isn't the most flattering "now shot" but the only one I got other than a side view. Tony is now 84 yrs old. He starred in films such as: Houdini (1953), Some Like it Hot (1959), Spartacus (1960), The Great Race (1965), and he even did the Flintstone's in 1965 as "Stony Curtis"!

Seated next to Tony was Tippi Hedren, lookin' good as always.

The only other signature I got was from Don Marshall. He did a program called Land of the Giants. (if you are way young it will mean nothing to you) but when I saw this photo from when he was a guest on Star Trek with DeForest I had to get it.

Here is Don signing my friends photo..

It seems Larry Storch from F Troop is becoming a regular at these shows. Have to love the hat with the arrow through it! Although most remember Larry from F Troop he has quite an impressive list of show and movies he was in over his lifetime.

Sitting quietly and contemplating, I saw Meadow Lark Lemon. Anyone who brought as much fun and smiles to people as he had done over the years with the Globetrotters deserves to have me take a photo!

... anyone out there old enough to remember Dobi Gillis??? Well, ol' Dobi (Dwayne Hickman) turned into a painter, and that's what he does today.

Anyone recognize the fellow below without reading his name? Like, hello good looking! What a waste to have covered up all those good looks with makeup!! Hiyas Worf!!

I took the photo below for the Battle star Galactica fans ... this was Edwards first show.

...and this lady sure looks different from her part in Galactica! Pretty Lady! Luciana Carro was a Captain.

Of course a big part of my wanting to go to the show was to say goodbye to Roger and his wife Grace. Such nice people, and although he's done "well" in the art business, I still believe he deserved more recognition.

...and my other "buddy" Ken Kelly...

...this is one of his pieces that he had for sale at the show.

And then there was Walter...

I really wanted to see him once again. That son-of-a-gun looks fabulous for someone 73 yrs old! Makes you wanna slap him upside his face and say "get wrinkled dammit!"

...case in point I look older than he does!...grrrrrrrrrrrr

The only other photo I got into was with Lou Ferrigno. What a sweetie this man is. I worked with helping him out in CA over 12 yrs ago and each time he came east here he remembered me by name. Now he's a HUNK!... errr, maybe I mean Hulk?! heh.

Ok.. and last but not least........... I have to tell you all... I fell in love at the show!

Yep.. Garrett Wang ! I always thought he was a cutie pahtootie..but in person.. wow.. we are talking "WOW" in caps!.. and what a nice guy! (made me wanna steal him away and find a fountain of youth.. fast!)

Once my girlfriend and I had procured our wants we went out for dinner..

Well.. with one stop along the way...

Barnes and Noble..

Need I say more?

Let's see now... Since tomorrow is Bad Blogger day.... that would be a point for Cath for The Graveyard Book and a point for CJ for Looking Glass Wars!

After time well spent at Barnes & Noble (btw: 2 of the 4 were Pressie's!) we then went to dinner at a Chinese Restaurant.

All in all.. a nicer day than I've had in a long time... but sad in the end when I had to make one last pass and say Goodbye... knowing I will not see Walter or Roger or Ken or any of them again. Sometimes the nectar of the fruit is bitter sweet. But I will call it a good day.

24 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful time with your friends and got to see so many others! But, don't ever say never again. Just because you are moving doesn't necessarily mean that you will never get to go to one of these again. Aren't you coming to FL? We are the LAND of the con! {{Hugs}}

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Astaryth said, don't go saying never just yet! I sincerely hope that fate will conspire to let you meet all your friends again!

It sounds like you've had a beautiful day (and I am very envious, so thank you for sharing all these photos!) and I hope it'll stay with you for a long time yet!

11:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey JJ: yes I know there are conventions down there, but not autograph shows... most are in Orlando i would be more than hard pressed to afford to go out of my apt once I get down there.. (so far it looks like Vero Beach)

thank you libritiches. i try to face the truth especially when it smacks me in the face... but yesterday was a nice day for sure

12:18 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

73?? Chekov is 73??? Good grief!

I'm glad you went and it sure looks like you had a good time.

And now I hope you enjoy Looking Glass Wars...

cjh

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi cj: oh I probably will enjoy the book.. it and the graveyard books were presents!! that makes it enjoyable already! lol

2:45 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

What a great day and what great photos! Never say never..:)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Looks like you had a great day, Pat. I know parts of it were tough but I'm pleased you got a day out doing something nice.

Oh wow, I forgot how gorgeous Michael Dorn is... And Garrett Wang! What a cutie!

And new books, including The Graveyard Book! And I got a Point!!! Wooohooo!

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

You needed and deserved a day like this.

Dobie Gillis! I loved that show, as a teenager. He hasn't changed all that much.

6:34 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Gavin: i used to think that way..

Cath: yep ya made the "list" !! lol and yes, Michael Dorn is very handsome! (he needs to smile more though) and Garrett Wang blew me away! The more I stood there listening to him talk to others the more I wanted to find that fountain of youth! LOL.. He is so cute with long hair!!!

THanks Donna: yah I wish I could have more of them!! I watched Dobi Gillis back then too lol.. loved Maynard! remember "beatnicks?" and "hippies?"..

6:44 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Sounds like a very bittersweet day Pat, but sweet none the less. I'm so so so glad that you got to go to this again :) And I love all of the pictures...especially the ones with you in them! And the Graveyard Book!! You got The Graveyard Book! Yay!!!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi baby boy! Glad you had a good read a thon!!.. I KNEW you'd remark about the graveyard book! LOL.. (knew Cath would but she's the one that wrote the convincing review! ) Glad you like the pictures.. I was super happy to see walter, Roger and Ken.. and Lou was a bonus! so sweet. I always marvel that he remembers me by name and walks right over and always gives me a smile and a hug! (breaks my heart but someone has to do it!)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

That sounds like fun! Oh I remember seeing that Flintstone cartoon :) Loved Ms. Hedren in The Birds. Loved The Looking Glass Wars too. Wow! Lots of fun!

(btw, I know you would love Elvenbane so you should see if your library has it. Mine did in hardcover. Or you can always try ebay but I can just about guarantee that you would like it when you get the chance to read it).

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Pat, I do believe you are one of
the coolest people on the planet !
You look GREAT !!!

I saw Tony Curtis years ago, at
the grand opening of Planet Hollywood in Vegas.

(I didn't get
an autograph though).

2:37 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: sent you an email

Daniel: He doesn't look a lot like Tony anymore, and it's not because he's lost his hair.. but you can never disguise his voice!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I enjoyed your show so much

12:44 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

ps he had to have a face lift. just looks to young ha ha

12:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: LOL.. nope the tiny lines are there no skin stretching.. he always had a baby face...sigh* wish I did! lol

2:59 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I've really been looking forward to this post, most especially because it would indicate the fact that you got to go! I'm so happy for you, despite the fact that it was a bittersweet convention. Closure is so important and with all that you have been going through I think being able to say goodbye to these people that you care about was more important than ever. Again, I am really happy that you were able to go. And so glad you got great pictures to share.

And you are right, WK has no business looking so ageless! :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: glad I went too! bittersweet it was, I began missing them before I ever left the show.. .but glad I got to go.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am so glad you had a good time! And, since I will probably never get to go, it was fun looking at your photos! You never know, it might work out that you can go again. Never say never!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I am so glad that you got to go and I can see that you had a great time. I know you felt sad to leave them all. Now you can enjoy looking at those pictures and reading those books and remember what a good time you had. Helen

7:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: the only reason you won't get to one is that it doesn't interest you enough to obsess enough to go lol... got to be a little crazy hahaha

Helen:thanks Helen..hugs

6:48 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So glad you got to go and that you had such a wonderful time, Pat....And you never know. You may get to one of these again sometime. Never say 'never', my dear.

3:01 AM  
Blogger MilkyWayfarer said...

Hi Pat. MilkyWayfarer (Susan) here. I'm so glad you got to the Chiller show! I know from your blog how important that was. It's unlikely I'll get to such a show so I REALLY appreciate your sharing your experience. As to FL, I think you'll enjoy it once you get settled. Take care!
http://milkywayfarer.wordpress.com

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home