My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, February 06, 2009

In the News..

More on Phelps..

It seems Michael's troubles are just beginning.. along with this photo below, which is making the rounds on every piece of news available, Kellogg has dropped Michael . They may be the first, but quite likely not the last to drop him because of this photo.

It's brought me to a bunch of mixed feelings.  Not to mention I wonder how much the person who took this photo got paid for it.  What is the cost of someone's reputation these days? 

It's mixed feeling from many it seems.  Some will stick to their guns and say smoking marijuana is no big deal (those would be the ones smoking themselves).  And others are outright enraged. 

While I don't smoke marijuana and never have I have great pain in my heart thinking that this is "normal behavior" for so many people.  It's sad to me that smoking marijuana is considered "fun" and "relaxing" and "enjoyable" and "an enhancement for joy"  (to name a few).. it's sad because those things can be felt without "help".  At the same time I do see the medicinal use for people in dire pain.  But of course, as with so many other things, give an inch and take a mile.. or ten miles.

I am torn. I'd rather never see or know of anyone smoking marijuana, but that will never happen.  Will Michael  tire of it one day and not smoke anymore?  Or will he smoke it all of his life?  No one knows, not even Michael.

One thing I have to agree on.. I'd rather be seeing him like this..

.. and I hope for him that his life is happy.  Obviously, money is not his answer to happiness.

 

Today was the first day that:  all was quiet on the "baby front"

but from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/   part of what we all know is going on....

She once told another neighbor that she wanted 12 children. "She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school [college] at the same time?'" Yolanda Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."

It was also reported that all 14 children are from the same donor, a neighbor, who unsuccessfully asked her to stop using his sperm after he got married recently.

An ethical debate is raging in America about why so many embryos were implanted in a woman aged under 35, particularly if the doctor or clinic involved knew that she already had six children. She only started to attend the Kaiser Permanente clinic, where the children were born, when she was three months pregnant and her mother said she does not know where the IVF procedure was performed.

Attention has also focused on the cost for a single mother of raising 14 children. Her parents filed for bankruptcy with liabilities of nearly $1 million last year, but Mrs Suleman said she has now paid her debts.

Her Palestinian-born husband, the children's grandfather, has said he intends to return to a contractor's job in Iraq as a translator to help pay for their upbringing. Ms Suleman, who worked as a psychiatric assistant until starting her family, is on welfare payments.

If nothing else (and I doubt that) this will become a book.

 

I had an "awwww, moment"  when I saw on the news that the temperatures in Florida had gotten so cold that Manatees were huddling for warmth!

I did further read that this happens every winter where they seem to gather near nuclear power plants where run off waters are warmer.  But this year they have much higher counts of Manatees .

 

Maybe BooBoo and Peanutchew are dreaming of one of those "big fishy's" to eat?! ya think?  (they are probably doing the same thing the Manatees are: huddling to keep warm!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Okay, well you might not have got the woman with all the babies but we did. LOL. The interview where she said she'd made a life choice to have lots of babies or something. I couldn't help thinking of you when I saw it, Pat.

And yeah, we got the news about Michael Phelps this morning too. I was shocked. He seems so clean-cut. On the other hand I realise how drugs are a casual part of so many people's lives these days, so in a way I was also *not* surprised. A shame I think, because he's such a role model for so many kids that they'll think it's okay to do the same. Like you, I've always believed it's possible to enjoy yourself without *help*.

The cats look so warm and comfy. :-)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm torn about Phelps too. Because I know there are many more casual weed users around than we're aware of (not me, LOL).

Except for being illegal, is it much different than alcohol?

Oh well. He's certainly going to pay the price for somebody's photo of him.

With camera cell phones everywhere, people need to be careful.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

It is cold here! I realize that for most people the temps we have been having are not that cold, but we aren't used to it! LOL! It never reached 50° here yesterday. Brrrrrr! I'm sitting here waiting for the temp to hit above 45° so I can put the horses out. It's 9:30am and I'm figuring it will be at least 10am before it's warm enough.

9:33 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: and 6 are not a lot of babies???? anyone with any clear sense, and no matter how much they want more babies, certainly considers if they can afford them or not! Hell, although the white cat thinks I'm his momcat, they belong to david because as much as I love animals I know I can't afford to have one of my own! It's called common sense!

As wrong as it is for Phelps to have done that (in my opinion only) I hope the hell the person who sold that photo to the news can live with theirself for crushing so many hopefuls vision of Michael.

Donna: you are right in many ways they are the same, but somehow i still feel that most drugs are more mind altering.. seldom do you hear of someone commiting suicide due to booze.. you do hear it of drugs though.. so yeah, I think there are similiarities but still feel drugs are much worse.

JJ! hi girl.. awww... brrrr.. you need to go swimming with the manatees in the warm water! lol hey, if you didn't give the afgan away you could use it until you do! lol

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I still haven't heard about that woman and her babies on the news, but I have been discussing it with people now that you brought it up. It has started quite the debate in my crowd.

11:36 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

DesLily -

Phelps showed a momentary lack of judgement that most college kids exhibit on a regular basis. Phelps, however, has already shown a dedication that most people can only dream about. He went to that party while he was taking three months off after China. I say people should give the young man a break. There's very little to suggest he routinely uses Marijuana and it would be a shame if behavior that most people get away with ruins his life.

Don't you think role models are better if they don't have a perfect background?

The woman, on the other hand, doesn't seem completely right in the head to me. Seems like, since she was an only child, she's obsessed with having children and I completely resent the fact that she is on welfare and expects the taxpayers to fund her craziness.

I know that's a little harsh but I'm pretty maxed out on the idea of the government thinking it knows how to spend my money better than I do.

cjh

12:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: I hope we hear what happens to them before it goes away .

deslily: well we don't know how routine it is for him but I was told that only very experienced people smoke that sort of pipe.. I'd still like to know who sold that photo of him and for how much... it ticks me off because if they wanted to "report him" they could do that without it being broadcasted in such a way as to not only ruin thing for him but for those who admire him too..

I wonder where all the money came from for Invetro fertilization.. i read that ALL her children were conceived this way.. even the other 6... that's a costly procedure if I'm not mistaken!

3:50 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh Michael Phelps, why must you hit the bong? My first reaction to that was "leave the guy alone" but then I started thinking about it and when you have so many young children that look up to you and you've become such a role model, there really are things in life that need to not happen...like this.

I love the picture of the manatees!! That's so cute :) So are the kitties.

7:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yep.. part of me felt sorry for him and part of me said you were a celebrity before so you know better than to do something like that when anyone will sell you out for money for a photo! I so want to know who took and sold the photo and for how much! Friendship is obviously down the tube and money can't buy the damage back.

7:29 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a WONDERFUL Sweet Sweet Picture of these two dear kitties of yours....!

I do not understand this woman, or the doctors who do this stuff...OR the people who donate Sperm, etc.
ALL of it seems like Science-Fiction-Gone Mad, to me. I understand it has been a BOON to a lot of people who for whatever reason, cannot conceive. But, I find the whole thing really bizarre and it is not how nature intended...And, the reason I feel this way is this: I know that ALL living matter "feels". These frozen embryo's "FEEL"....the Frozen Sperm "Feel"....Which means to me that there is a 'memory' in these cells that seems incredibly traumatic...to be "frozen"...To be taken out of your natural environment and placed in God knows where...OY!.
Well, as I said, it all seems like Science-Fiction-Gone Mad to me.

About Michael Phelps? It is sad that some person took this picture of him KNOWING he or she could make a fortune with it. Is his smoking "weed" sad or wrong? I don't know. No, I don't indulge myself. But I try to understand how smoking "weed" is worse than drinking?? I think drinking is stupid...But, it's legal. THAT is the only difference between drinking and smoking, as far as I can see.....!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

this may be the defining moment for phelps....

12:15 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Tink: I guess he's still learning that mommy can't fix everything.. and now neither can money.

naomi: there are many similiarities to be drawn between marijuana and drinking but it will be a very sad day that they make it legal. drinking was allowed legal long ago, before the amount of cars and driving were so bad, ignorance .. then they tried to ban it.. too late, you can never give and then take away from a whole nation. But to make marijuana legal.. well, you'd be doing that with your eyes wide open as to it being a drug and what it does...

Pam: oh I think he'll go on swimming and even do olympics again, but it's going to hurt him no doubt about it. Last time he was caught drunk driving, this time smoking marijuana, you can't just keep saying I'm sorry and I will learn from this.. as they say: talk is cheap.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Well it is a hard fall from the pedestal Michael Phelps was on. I hope he realizes that now, and maybe he'll make better choices from now on.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home