My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Ice Dragon & Snow

The Ice Dragon by George RR Martin Illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert

 

 

 

Hardcover: 112 pages
Publisher: Starscape (October 3, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0765316315

 From School Library Journal
Seven-year-old Adara was born during the coldest chill of the coldest year ever, a chill that killed her mother during the girl's birth. Ever since then, she has been a remote and chilly child, living for winter when the ice lizards come out and forming a bond with a mysterious ice dragon. When war comes and dragon-riding invaders threaten her home and family, the ice dragon helps her to thwart them, leading to its own demise. Filled with illustrations of swooping dragons and folks in medieval-type garb, this fantasy is a slim but rich introduction to the genre, one that should appeal to both boys and girls.

I knew when I first saw this book on Amazon that I wanted it.   The problem was, I really couldn't afford to spend twelve dollars for a book I knew I could read in less than an hour... but when it went on sale for 3.99 you can bet I sent for it! I didn't need any arm twisting to add it to my group of books.

What a really nice story it held!  And so well illustrated!  Art on nearly every page.

Born in the cold winter to a mother who died right after her birth, Adara always felt different.  She loved the winter and would count the days in the summer until her birthday so that she would know it would be winter and she would see the Ice Dragon once again.

I really don't want to say much more about it since it's such a short book I'd give it all away if I did.  But it was a cute story, well written and illustrated.  If you think you'd be interested in it click the link at the top and grab it while it's a hardback on sale for only 3.99.  The paperback is already out for 4.99 so grab it up quick if it's something you've had on your wish list!

What better, while reading The Ice Dragon then to have it snow?!!

It didn't snow a lot... and I didn't see any Ice Dragons :o(... but it was appropriate!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

We got rain. It took away some of the snow! I am actually hoping for a bit of snow in the next couple days to cover the mess the snow plows have made and all the mud!

9:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: awww, yeah I know, snow is only pretty until the plows come out!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I still haven't read any George R.R. Martin. I should do something about that!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm intrigued! Yvonne Gilbert has such beautiful art on her homepage too wow!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh...this sounds like a really nice little book!! My son loves dragons!!

Actually, I got an ARC in the mail this week from John Marco. It's called Starfinder, and there are dragons on the cover!! Probably right up your alley!

11:14 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ok...so this one is definitely not going to last on the wishlist for very much longer :/ Thanks Pat.....

12:43 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: well this is his childrens book so hard to judge if you'd like his adult writing.

Tink: the artwork throughout the book is quite nice

stephanie: went to see about starfinder at amazon but no reviews at all are there.. the only thing discouraging is it says "book one" grrrrrrr! another series lol

Chris: it's very small, lots of drawings and one that should be read to a child.But I will keep this one.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I didn't know he wrote for children. I haven't even read any of his adult books and I know I really should! Bit put off by their size and complexity I think. This looks good though.

6:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I think this is his first Cath..
I'm with you.. the size alone has kept me from his "latest" series!!
This is cute but definately for very young folk. But I wanted it anyway lol I wouldn't have paid 12.00 for it but 3.99 was just right lol

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home