My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sabriel

 Sabriel by Garth Nix

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (April 22, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0061474355

 

Amazon.com Review
After receiving a cryptic message from her father, Abhorsen, a necromancer trapped in Death, 18-year-old Sabriel sets off into the Old Kingdom. Fraught with peril and deadly trickery, her journey takes her to a world filled with parasitical spirits, Mordicants, and Shadow Hands. Unlike other necromancers, who raise the dead, Abhorsen lays the disturbed dead back to rest. This obliges him--and now Sabriel, who has taken on her father's title and duties--to slip over the border into the icy river of Death, sometimes battling the evil forces that lurk there, waiting for an opportunity to escape into the realm of the living. Desperate to find her father, and grimly determined to help save the Old Kingdom from destruction by the horrible forces of the evil undead, Sabriel endures almost impossible exhaustion, violent confrontations, and terrifying challenges to her supernatural abilities--and her destiny.

Well.. ummm,  yep that about tells what book one, Sabriel, is all about!   The amazon review does leave out the fact that at her fathers house in the Old Kingdom she meets up with a cat (?) named Mogget, who comes with Sabriel to help her.

Once moving along in the Old Kingdom Sabriel helps to bring a man back from the "near dead".  He is called Touchstone, and becomes another who travels with her on her journey deeper into the Old Kingdom and it's perils.

Although it is her (Sabriel) hope to save her father from what she believes is his death and bring him back to life, she sortof knows that this might not be possible.  But, she has to try.

I can't say that I've read many books that talk about death as much as this book does and if it hadn't been given to me by my adopted son Chris, saying how great the book is, I might never have given it a try.  

As much as it seems like "not my thing" the book has kept me constantly going back to it, unlike recent other books.  So I can say that I did enjoy it Chris!!   Way different from anything I thought I'd like!  

Now I am onward and upward to book 2 of the series called Lirael...

So far so good Chris! (thank you again baby boy!)

*************************************************

The peanutbutter cookies came out!  Woo-hoo! I am 2 for 2 so far!

18 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

*waves*
Hi Deslily! :)
Those cookies look delicious, and the cream puffs too!

Just stopped by to say Merry Christmas, hope you have a lovely holiday!

7:43 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

wow, hi Asara.. good to see you! I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a grand New Year too!!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Lirael is definitely my favourtie of the trilogy, Pat, so knowing how closely we tend to think I reckon you might enjoy that one even more.

I'll put the kettle on and we'll have a nice cuppa and one of your biccies. :-) They look super!

8:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I've read the first few chapters and it's setting up well already. I was getting tired of books not even coming close to living up to what I heard they were. This series is good.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I was not a big fan of Sabriel. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't really make me feel the need to read the whole trilogy. I hope you continue to enjoy it Pat!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm with Cath, my favourite is Lirael. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series even more!

PS: The cookies and the cream puffs really look delicious :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kailana: let's put it this way.. it's way better than what I was reading! lol I'm not a vampire/ death fan but his has an interesting story line..so far :o)

Nymeth: hi Nymeth! Like i was telling Kailana.. it kinda pushes the death issue more than I'm comfortable with, but somehow he's made it interesting enough to keep me reading it.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should totally send me some cookies. Just saying. :]

And I tried to get into the series; I enjoyed the first one but couldn't really enjoy the second one...

4:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nicole: no allergy to peanutbutter eh? lol.. I'm allergic...they call me peanutbutter hips!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Those cookies looks good. I used to make those cookies all the time when my children were small. Now we are all three diabetics and can't have such as that. Hugs, Helen

7:05 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You are two for two alright...two for two in making me want to eat my computer screen! Both of your experiments look amazing...I can practically smell them all the way over here in the Midwest. Congrats!

7:50 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it Pat! I knew it was a little different from what you normally read, but it still had that fantasy element to it. I haven't found another series that's quite like this one before...I thought it was very unique and it was definitely a page turner. I'm so happy that he's announced two more books in the series!!! Hope you're enjoying Lirael as well! I remember missing Sabriel as a main character when I went to that one...

1:33 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

you forked the cookies just like my mom did when I was a little girl.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I love peanut butter cookies. Used to make them often, but Cliff and I can't stop at one or two cookies. So I don't make them.

8:16 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Helen and Donna: I know how you feel.. I am doing "good" so far though! Haven't had a one!!

Carl: ah ha! I can see someone likes homemade goodies! lol.. it was my most fun/ work when my kids were young. I baked until i felt sick to my stomach from smelling sugar and sweet butter!! sheesh.. and the boys and X stayed skinny and I got fat! go figure!

Chris: yes it was different! lol but i'm hoping this trilogy is lifting me out of the slump of not having books i'm enjoying!

Pam: yep! I forked them alright! hahaha

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

LOVE this book. So vividly imagined... his descriptions are chilling at times, but I found them really fascinating too. I actually had a dream once about fighting off the dead after reading this book.

And how sweet that Chris sent that to you! :-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! And hooray for Chris for nudging you to try something different. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the other books in the series.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

I think it is funny that you have just read this book as I had finally dug it out of my TBR pile and read it. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the other two in the Abhorsen triology. I hadn't thought about the closeness of death or that someone might be bothered by it, but I get your point there. However I have to admit I liked how the Abhorsen stuck to going through the last gate.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home