My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Some Things I Just Don't Get..

 

Fact:  When shopping at Sears recently (in the men's dept) 99% of items that I handled were made in China. With a few scattered in Pakistan and Bolivia. I could find no item made in America  Do you really think that your "all american jeans by Lee or Levi is made here in America?? ... take a good look at your label!

Fact: Any time I call AOL for tech support the person on the other end of the phone is NOT located in America

Fact: Recent calls to Verizon concerning my DSL was handled by someone in the Philippines.

Fact: Recent acquisitions purchased at J C Pennies were made in Cambodia.

Fact: American car manufacturers have known for years that other countries make better quality cars than the US. They have done nothing to improve this over many, many years and now they want America to Bail them out.

I Understand: that workers in America get paid more than other countries. (maybe because it costs a lot more to live here??)

I understand: that all business (including big business's) are out to make money.  (it just seems that they have a need to make ALOT of money.. FAST.)

I do NOT understand: why America does not try to keep at least 75% of their workers here in America to keep our economy growing.  Instead they go to "cheaper countries" and when it fails expects America to bail them out.

I do NOT understand: why America has not even ATTEMPTED to make theirself "SELF SUFFICENT" and not dependant on other countries. (this does not mean America shouldn't help other countries)

I do not understand: why America does not step in and take care of their elderly. (medically)

There is so much I don't understand...  what about you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

I'm on the same page you are hon. I believe in helping other countries...AFTER you have helped your own. I truly think it's high time America stopped allowing other countries to profit off of us, and started putting the revenue back into our own country. Especially now with a Recession looming. There are children who are hungry and homeless here in America. How about saving them first, before going to Nigeria or wherever to save those children.

I think we have a responsibility to our own country first and foremost. (Hugs)Indigo

11:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

You'll get no disagreement with me! We are preached to all the time that if you don't take care of "yourself first" you can't help others.. this goes for "America" too! Fix things at home then reach out to help others. It's not out of greed I say this... it's out of the fact it's the way things SHOULD be done.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for a small company that makes a lot of products here in Canada. What I've come across from customers, unfortunately, is that they don't want to pay the price of products made in Canada. I don't know what it's like for larger corporations, but a big portion as to why our prices are much more is because of labour costs - labour is SO MUCH less in China.

And I can understand people not buying stuff for the prices. Personally, most of what I buy is made in China, and I would LOVE to buy stuff made in North America - but I can't afford it.

It's a bit of a catch 22 we're in here.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I only understand it from the 'need to make a profit' mentality. I would like to see sweeping changes that make companies do the greatest portion of their work here in the U.S. as opposed to elsewhere. I would also love it if we would develop some other way to fuel our automobiles AND drill off shore at the same time. We could use that oil in the future to sell to China, whose consumption is increasing year by year, while also reducing our dependence on other nations.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Yeah, it's kind of depressing.

4:45 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

Taxes. America taxes the hell out of its corporations and you add the union entitlements (lifetime pensions) on top of that and you get companies that can't afford to operate in the U.S. It's stupid. We're driving American companies out of the U.S. and then complaining about job losses.

I live in California and it has one of the worst environments for businesses in the country. My husband works with a lot of small business owners and we're hearing a lot about what higher gas prices (though they're thankfully down now) and higher taxes do to them. They're already planning on what jobs will be eliminated if the Obama tax hikes go through.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fear it is only going to get worse. If Obama taxes those "rich" people than you can expect they are going to be moving their businesses elsewhere too.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

There's a lot I don't understand and it seems like the older I become the less I "get". Did you know that 100% of Vitamin C is manufactured outside of the U.S.?
I agree with Court, though -- it's a Catch-22. We tend to buy for price, not quality and we've run ourselves into a corner.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

You've asked a question that I've asked often too: why doesn't America make its own goods? Why do we have so much shipped to us from around the world? I know it has to do with 'free market economics', but personally, I've never really understood how an economy can function on what might be, rather than trading for value about what we have. I prefer the barter system, which is honest and based on equal valuing of goods....what you see is what you get, and there is no inflation. I know, I've simplified it, but we're told we're in such a mess and it's over nothing that exists, just a stock market betting on what isn't really there! I'm just so sad for everyone caught up in it, especially those suffering who've lost everything, and those who've lost pensions through no fault of their own. the greed of the banks is sickening, of corporations, and yet, they get bailed out, but the homeowner doesn't. Something is wrong....and yes, we have it to some extent up here in Canada, but mostly it's coming out in our automobile industry, which I love how you point out has known for years it makes autos no one wants or can buy, but has refused to change.
I really wish we would become self-sufficient too, especially in terms of oil. We're shipping our oil in Alberta down to you in the US and then buying it back from you!!!! Talk about crazy....
Great post, lots of conversation here, Pat!!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home