My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Locked Rooms

Locked Rooms by Laurie R King.

Hardback 402 pages
Publisher: Bantam (March 28, 2006)

From School Library Journal
Adult/High School–Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell are at it again. Having just traveled to India in The Game (Bantam, 2004), they are stopping in San Francisco, Mary's hometown, before returning to England. It is 1930, 24 years after the great earthquake and 10 years since the death of Mary's brother and parents, and her removal to Anglia. Ostensibly, she is going to wrap up some business interests and sell her parents' house, but she soon becomes aware of strange goings-on there and what seem to be attempts on her life. This is a more character-driven title than many of the previous Russell/Holmes outings, and Mary's emotions and fears are in the forefront. The story is told in alternating sections, by Mary in the first person and from Holmes's point of view in the third. This tale is self-contained, but does explain Mary's origins and probes many secrets she has kept hidden, even from herself.

Excellent!

Yep, that's my book review.. "excellent!"

I loved learning all about Mary's youth.  The suspense begins to build almost immediately and never lets up.

Did someone try to kill Mary and Holmes in India? 

Why is Mary having nightmares and what do they mean?

Was the accident in which Mary's parents and brother died 10 years ago really an accident? Or was it something else?

Why can't Mary remember more of her youth with her parents?

Who is the man without a face?

With Mary at the center of things, going to her parents home in California, and being totally distracted with feelings of guilt, Holmes is on his own to find out about the past that she talks so little about.  Since Mary is no longer available to him to help him sold the mystery he calls on his brother Mycroft and old friend Watson for a little outside help.  I love that Laurie R King manages to incorporate the characters from Doyle's Holmes Mysteries!

While Holmes searches for answers, Mary is doing the same with the help of a childhood friend.  But she is so deep into her childhood depression that she almost misses the clues.  But like a locked door opening... Mary finally realizes the truth in time to help Holmes put her fears to rest.

It's ongoing mystery and Mary and Holmes are at the center of it all. (naturally) I loved it.  I think this book rates up in the top 3 of the series.  I'd say "what a way to end a series" but in April, after a long absence, a new Mary Russell book will be appearing at the local book stores, and I could not be happier about it!

This book differs from the other mystery novels in that it gives us a look into who Mary is  examining part of her youth.  Since I am character oriented I enjoyed this book immensely . If any of you have read any of the Mary Russell books I can say, that this one will not disappoint. 

9 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

OH no! What are you going to do until April? :p Sounds like another great one added to the series!

1:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: youre joking right?! With 52 TBR books you have the nerve to ask me what will I do until April???? Aggghhhhhhhh!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Thrilled to hear how good this one is, Pat. By April I'm hoping to have the others read and be ready for the new one. The Moor will be a hard act to follow though.

7:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: oh this one grabbed me big time! loved learning so much more about Mary! haha of my favs, beekeeper/ the moor/ and this one were my top 3.. but of course I liked them all 2 were "so-so" but that I think was more the subject matter, surely not the characters!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I used to love to read Sherlock Holmes. Been a long time since I read one of his books though. Helen

4:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Helen: my favorite holmes will always be Houng of the Baskervilles! and I do have that book, plus a huge book of his stories that I haven't begun yet

5:24 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

You find the best books.
Have you ever picked one up and just said forget it...I'm not going to finish this?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

I'm rather enamored of the cat, myself. :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela: unfortunately, yes. I have bought a book now and then that I just couldn't finish. I'm just glad it's seldom. Though I've also had some books that I have finished but will never read again.

Bookfool:When I moved in with my brother and David there were 10 cats (all were strays) but most were pretty old and over the 9 years I've been here they are now down to 5. The one in the photo is one of the youngest and came here pregnant. (first and last time as David has them all fixed asap) her name is Peanutchew. (or Peanut. Or PP. Or Peeps.)

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home