My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Just in Time..

Well, I did it!  I replaced all the photo's that I've posted for the last 3 years!  And none too soon... the last 3 weeks worth (prior to aol announcing the collapse of journals) had turned into little red X's a week sooner than they said they would.

In order to replace those pics I had to have blogspot open, photobucket open, my copy of my journal in word open, notepad open and paintshop pro open!  It was not fun!

Now I ask that if anyone should, at any time, go into my archives and fine little red X's instead of a photo to let me know.  There shouldn't be any, but at times I was so tired while replacing them that I may have made a mistake here and there.

As much work as that was (and it WAS!) other people still had it worse.  Some folks, once they uploaded photo's to the web, would delete them from their hard drive (I did not.  I have 59 folders worth of pictures from my journal alone!).   If they wanted to save their photo's they had to download them all back to their hard drive (one at a time) before they could then upload them to another site to replace them in blogspot! 

Besides whatever pictures I uploaded thru blogger I also uploaded some 2,112 to photobucket!

I think a bunch of us need to send AOL a nice thank you note ..heh.

Anyway.. it's done, and I don't ever want to repeat that again!

I hope all the aol journals managed to make some sort of transition, even if they don't/ didn't replace photo's..

It's a shame aol is slowly taking away all the perks to being on aol.. I have a feeling soon there won't be aol at all.  I know many don't like aol but it's still a shame because for people like me (old and not too bright) it is a program that allows the untrained to be able to get around on a computer.

On a completely different note...

I am only half way thru Inkdeath but slowly getting back to reading it.. I can already tell anyone who read her first two books, that she has another winner in this one!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm glad you're enjoying Inkdeath! I'm planning to finally read Inkheart next month.

And yay, you made it! It sounds like it was a terrible hassle, but I'm glad everything is taken care of now. And yeah, I agree that it's definitely not a good idea not to keep pictures on your own hard drive once you've uploaded them...I'm too paranoid for that :P You never know when a website could implode.

4:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: oh i have all my photo's on my harddrive AND backed up to cd.. but it's the work to put them back that's discouraging! Iknow not many people go into others archives.. but sometimes someone does and even I do and love seeing the photo's!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I will probably slowly work my way back thru and get at least some of my pics back up in the right places, but it will probably be a little at a time. All of the pictures are on line, the ones from FTP I moved to photobucket myself, and anything that was in AOL pics blogger moved to picassa, so it will just be a matter of changing the links.... maybe in my -spare- time LOL!

Glad you got it all done before AOL pics and hometown imploded. I can't believe they actually did it -before- the 31st... No, wait... I DO believe it {sigh}. Still, I know how important all of your pictures are to you, so I'm glad you pulled it in under the wire.

8:52 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Pat! That was a Monumental job! BRAVO, BRAVO!

It is weird that AOL would do do such a kind of drastic thing.
I know most TECHIE-TYPE People, HATE AOL....But I must say, for my Personal email etc., I like it a lot. It is not only user friendly, it has certain advantages that some of the other email places do not have! I sure hope they stay "in business"....I've been with them since about 1995-96....!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think it's brilliant that you've managed to do that, well done you. ISPs... can't live with them, can't live without 'em. We're probably changing ours this winter as I'm really fed up with people not getting my e.mails from my paid isp account. The thing is, AOL seems to be the isp that my isp doesn't like. Or the other way round...

Hope you're doing okay?

4:49 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

You have went to a lot of trouble moving all your pictures Pat. I moved my journal over but I have all my pictures saved so I didn't bother trying to save any of those in my journal. I couldn't have sat long enough to do all that anyway. Hugs, Helen

5:27 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You have much more patience than I do!

6:11 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Congrats, DesLily! What an amazing undertaking and I'm glad you did it!

cjh

6:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Astaryth: I don't know if they deleted the photo's or not.. it just the last two days all the photo's on my blog were X's .. so, whatever lol

Hi Naomi: I"m with them pretty close to as long as you! And I agree, it will be a shame but I do see it coming.. then there will only be the "free aol" but no help for anyone.

Hi Cath: I'm doing "ok".. so far.
I'm glad you are back from vacation.. looking forward to some photo's!


Helen: many aol people aren't replacing them..way too much work!! I just had to do it, not that I have any sort of great blog.. but I had to have it whole !

Hi Chris:.. not expecially.. just an old fart who has to fix what little I can control!

Thanks CJ.. me too!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

How sucky that you had to do all of that work, but I'm glad to hear it is all done and you can kick back and relax. It is a shame that they got rid of AOL journal.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Congrats on getting that tuff job done!! I just can't do it. I don't even time. I have to let it all go. Hopefully I have most of my pics saved.

Pat, I am so sorry about your brother. You know what I said about siblings and having that invisible string that attaches you together and how you can feel it breaking when one of you dies. That's what hurts so much.

I still dream about my brother almost every night. Wonder if that will ever stop??

Love you like a step mom!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home