My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Bits 'n' Pieces

Ever have times when your thoughts jump all around?  Some things on your mind are very important, and others not.  But how important things are doesn't set the precedence.

I've been dealing with heavy stress the past few months (years actually).. at times I think my mind picks little things to come to the front of my mind, because I know I can't deal with bigger things right now.

One small thing that leaped out at me was a photo on the "aol opening page" as I opened it yesterday.  The caption under the photo said, "do you know who this is?"  The answer was: Why yes I do!  This is Tony Dow.. he played Wally Cleaver, the big brother to Beaver, in Leave It To Beaver...

So I clicked on the article to see why the photo was there.  In turn it led to a website.. this web site.  If you follow this link you will find a group of photo's of actors "then and now"...

That made me think even more.

About a book I thought would be great to have, but was not written yet.  The idea came to me when I helped  at the autograph shows when I lived In California.  Being able to meet and help many of the older generation of actors and actresses always made me feel good inside and smile a lot. 

Even though they didn't look like when I first remembered seeing them, be it a television show like Leave It to Beaver (Wally, really was a cutie!) or a movie, they all did something for me.  They all took me away from my trials and tribulations for the amount to time I watched the show they were in or the movie they made.

In their own way, they were a spice of life.  Something to lift you up for an hour or more and make you feel many things, many emotions.. but none of them related to   what you were going back to when that show or movie was over.

It's a pretty wonderful thing these people do... and whenever I still go to a show and look at their faces and listen to stories other people tell them about how they affected their life.. I still smile.

And so it was, many years ago that I dreamed of a book I wanted to write.  Not that I am a writer mind you, but I didn't have to be if this book was done properly. Others could tell the stories and I could just type it up.

First, of course, there would be the "then" picture and a recent photo for the book.  Then each actor that agreed to the photo's  would also be asked to tell a short story into a recorder.  I wanted it to be short, but something that stayed with them all their life.  Maybe a funny joke someone played on them while making a movie, or someone who befriended them and stayed their best friend all these long years.  A little something that you and I would not know, but was forever memorable to them.

Mostly, I hoped it would be a comical story.. to keep the people reading the book smiling.

Along with the pictures and the short story each would tell that would then be written up (and not used without final approval from that person), then I had hoped that many of these people, who by the way, probably do not work at their craft anymore, or if they do are difficult to get a hold of, would also provide an address (could be a po box or a manager) where those who would like to write a fan letter or send for an autographed photo could do so.  And of course each person in the book would have a credit list.

Many retired actors have no way fans can contact them.  You or I may think that would be a blessing... but not always.  Which is why the book would not be for everyone.. but there are many who I think would like it. 

For a number or years now I've sat with quite a few of these actors and actresses for hours at a time..and one thing I've seen, is the happiness in their faces when fans come up to them still gushing to meet them, even if they hadn't make a movie or appearance in many years.   They beam when they hear people tell them how much they have admired their work. And I honestly think it does them good inside.

Way back then, when I thought of the possibility of the book it was tentatively called "Then 'n' Now" or "Remember Me?".  But that was all before life got in the way..

That little website brought that all back to the front of my mind.. ..  one photo and one caption.. weird how things sneak up on you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Sounds like the kind of book I would love. I want to be the first to review it when (please say you will?) you write it!!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

"Ever have times when your thoughts jump all around?"...umm, yeah, on a daily basis. I've been trying to convince myself it's normal.

And I'm with Ladytink...you really, really should write it! I can't think of anyone who could possibly do a better job. Your love of the people in the industry shines through with every post you write!

8:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Tink and Debi:.. oh man.. if "love" was all it took to write a publishable book ! lol.. my problem with even giving it a chance was nearly 10 yrs ago (when I was much younger lol) and the 9 years and counting of caregiving.. it would take a lot of legal stuff "the actors sigining off on their stories and pics" and a lot of traveling to get to them and do the interviews etc.. I am glued to this house and not financially equiped for such a thing..but I never really forget the idea of finding a book that the people tell cute stories that the public never heard before and having addresses to be able to contact the people you grew up watching on tv and movies.. I know how to contact "some" but the big deal with a book is it's done with their approval and so you'd be assured they would be getting your fan mail and autograph requests if that's what you want to do also. With these shows many charge for autographs and that could be listed also, so it would all be up front... ahhh to be young again and dream again!!

9:48 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is really too bad that you didn't act on this really great idea back then, Pat...I know it seems like an insurmountable thing now, but maybe you can find some young person who feels as strongly about this idea as you do and who could do a lot of the leg work. It really is a swell idea...! And you could start maybe writing some of the people you helped at these shows....see how they fel about being a part of such a book...!

3:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: yes, that's why it came about that I even thought of it.. the people doing the shows were very genuine feelings about having "fans" acknowledging their craft. I do understand at the height of the "super stars" that they wouldn't want more fan mail but when retired, one has more time and it's nice to get well meaning letters saying nice things about you. Ah well.. it's a thought that I always carry with me.. the photo of Tony Dow just brought it back to the front lol

3:40 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I really think that's a wonderful idea for a book. Really, really wonderful. It sounds like it would be beautiful and moving and nostalgic and full of charm. I hope things in your life improve and that you have the chance to do it. Because it really would be brilliant.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

I can't believe you still protest that you're "not a writer" after all the beautiful writing you do on this blog--and all your others! And hasn't your blogging in a sense been a version of this book you've "never written"? You always show such delightful then and now photos of actors, tell such delightful stories related to them. I think you've been doing an awful lot of what you don't think you've been doing! It's been a while since I've left a comment, Pat, but I want you to know I still check in--and still enjoy!

2:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: it would be nice, I especially would love hearing the stories that stayed with them forever lol

Paula! holy cow! I thought you disappered way back when you got a teaching job!! Good to see you are still around! I hope all is well with you!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home