My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The End of a Trilogy

In the Coils of the Snake by Clare B Dunkle


Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (December 26, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0805081100

From School Library Journal
In the final volume in the trilogy, the action moves to the next generation. Marak, the goblin king, is dying, and his son, Marak Catspaw, is taking over the throne. Miranda, the human girl whom Marak has raised to be Catspaw's wife, has come to the underground goblin lands eager to start her role as King's Wife. When a new elf leader arrives and offers Catspaw an elven wife, Miranda's destiny disappears. She escapes the goblin kingdom and is captured by the elf leader, Nir. Meanwhile, elven Arianna, Catspaw's new Wife, is deeply unhappy with her underground life. In the end, both girls play a role in choosing a new life for both elves and goblins. Dunkle has created a tightly drawn fantasy with a pair of strong, independent female protagonists striving to find their places in new societies. The author's themes of the need for tolerance and her exploration of the often-superficial differences between races are continued from earlier volumes and add meaning to the text. Because of this book's focus on the elf and goblin worlds, less attention is given to the alternate Victorian England of the humans than in earlier volumes. Dunkle's language and plotting help build the mood and move her suspenseful story through its twists to its satisfying finish.–


I have to say, this was a really excellent trilogy.

The world and characters that Clare B Dunkle made became quite real. (well, as real as a Goblin and Elf can become!) I found these books to have a very original story (stories?) which even became a piece of their own history.

I would also say that this trilogy goes up there in enjoyment with a few others that I know I can't quite get out of my head. I hope that someday soon Clare B Dunkle can come up with another story as good as this one was.

Again, I want to thank Cath for sending me book one and kinda pushing the books to the top of the TBR pile lol... They had to be really good to be able to help take my mind off of real life lately. (thumbs up!) Excellent choice Cath!!

(is it just me or is blogger working oddly? when I put my mouse over things like "publish post" it doesn't give me a "hand" or "arrow" indicating i can click, I still click and it seems to work, but it's sure not right.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Glad the series took your mind off present events. Of course I didn't know that when I sent you the first book but it worked out quite nicely. Such a good series and it sort of stays with you for ages, I still think about it from time to time.

Yes! I'm finding that sending a comment or post is really peculiar... it sticks a little straight bit there instead of the hand. And then you think your comment hasn't taken and end up sending it twice. I hope they sort it out soon as something is clearly not quite right.

7:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: yeah, who'd have guessed it would not just be a good read, but a good help too!

and yes, instead of the arrow or hand it remains like a capital I.. thank goodness it still clicks though! I hope they fix it.. it's very annoying and makes you think something is wrong.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home