My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

From Across the Pond..

This is the part of summer that I can't say I am thrilled with...

It's HOT!


I mean Heat Wave Hot! It's been in the high 90's for days now.

Did I mention I have no air conditioner in my room? Oh. Well. I don't. So whatever the temps read outside... they pretty closely read the same inside. My room has been averaging 90 degrees.

So I've been sweating ... a lot. I know, it's gross to imagine an old lady sweating. Somehow, I don't think I'm the only one!

I've been daydreaming lately... about 75 degree days! heh. Other than in my mind is there really a place that stays 75 degrees all the time?? And if there is.. will someone please take me there?!

But there was a bright spot in my day. Just when the day felt endless.... the mailman appeared... with an unexpected package!



A book !

From England!

My blog buddy Cath sent me a BAFAB (Buy A Friend A Book)! Never would I expect anything heavier than a piece of paper for a letter to come from overseas to me! Like, good thing I still have good bladder control or I woulda wet my pants! (*snort*)

I don't know how to say Thank you to Cath so it sounds like so much more than just thank you. I feel like I have a little piece of England now!

Ok, so it's a book... still... it was bought in England! How cool is that?!!!!! Waaay cool !!

When Cath first reviewed this book it immediately went on my wish list, as did the other two from the trilogy as she reviewed them.. *sigh*.. one day someone will review a book I would like that isn't a series! (yeahrightsure, that and I'm getting younger not older!)

What a strange coincident that this book would come today ... the reason I think that is because I just finished reading Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery, a book which I never would have read had it not been for Cath and her review of Anne of Green Gables (which I bought and read not long ago). I found this book at the last show I went to and grabbed it up, even though it was actually book 3 of a series... I can't tell you how delightful both Anne of Green Gables and this one, Anne of the Island, both were.

It was like stepping back in time. To a more innocent time. A time most think of when they are older and think back to when they were young.

I never read these books when I was young.. and I missed out. But I'm making up for it now.

The books are easy to read. They fly by and time seems to stand still. Maybe it's the wish that things were still as simple as they seemed when we were young and didn't hold the problems of the world on our shoulders.

It's such a short amount of time that we are innocent of so many things... it's no wonder we all wish we "were young again"... it's not really the "age" that we want... it's the feeling of so much hope.

This is a good excerpt:

Marilla, was thinking of her whole past life, her cramped but not unhappy childhood, the jealousy hidden dreams and the blighted hopes of her girlhood, the long, gray, narrow, monotonous years of dull middle life that followed. And the coming of Anne- the vivid, imaginative, impetuous child with her heart of love, and her world of fancy, bringing with her color and warmth and radiance, until the wilderness of existence had blossomed like the rose. Marilla felt that out of her 60 years she had "lived" only the nine that had followed the advent of Anne. And Anne would be home tomorrow night.

This book follows Anne for another 4 years. Her years away at college, with her frequent trips home to Green Gables for Holidays, and the realization that sometimes love is so close you can't see it.

So.. I have LOTS to thank Cath for!

For saying such good things about Anne of Green Gables that it made me read them (THANK YOU THANK YOU!)

... and for feeding my ADDICTION for fantasy fiction! (If I could Hug you I would!! BIG Thank You!)

... it was a horribly hot day... that turned out good anyway!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

You know it's really weird to think that book was here in the UK just a couple of weeks ago and now it's flown across the Atlantic and there's a photo of it *there* with you in America. Anyway, glad it made your day and I'm sorry it's so horribly hot over there. :-( I hate that kind of weather and the older I get the less tolerance I seem to have for it. I was surprised at how much I adored Anne and loved reading about their much quieter way of life back then. We have *so* lost something. And thank *you* too. :-)

5:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: Sometimes the mail is amazing isn't it?! Then sometimes it's not LOL. glad this wasn't one of those times!

I think the Anne stories (most, now she's an adult) were so great because when we were young (this includes everyone) we still were dreaming of "what if's" and hope was endless, and so was possibilities! ... then we learned differently. Sometimes "ignorance" (if that's what it's called when we are young) can be bliss!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It is so hard to pick a favorite Anne book, but this is certainly one of mine. I re-read it not too terribly long ago and it was like revisiting a dear old friend. I currently have Anne's House of Dreams checked out from the library.

How miserable that you don't have air cond! I can not imagine. It has finally gotten icky-hot and humid out. Waaay upper 90's. Even with the air going full on it gets warm in some rooms. I feel for you, I really do.

What a nice gift from England. Love the cover!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Aww, how sweet of Cath!

I finished Anne of the Island a couple of days ago and I really enjoyed it too. Anne never fails to put a smile on my face.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

Oh, wow, no A/C! I'm going to stop complaining, right now.

As to cool places . . . I'm all about Alaska. The high was 58 in Anchorage, today. In July!!!

What a great surprise and how sweet of Cath!

10:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: ah yes..It's a good story when what you are looking for has been there patiently waiting for you! Although it was obvious to the reader the introduction of a new possible man for her gave me pause...

Nymeth: Montgomery's writing really takes you to another time and place.. much better than most authors do.. strange how that happens.

Bookfool: I'd say I'm used to it since I had none in CA either and we had heat waves there also.. but if feels worse the older we get. We ederly do like heat.. just not uncomfortable heat! lol.. It broke today! Now we are due for thunderstorms.. *sigh* what a pita! lol gotta shut down the computer for those!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Oh I love the Anne of Green Gables books. I think they are so delightful. Glad you enjoyed them!

It is pretty hot here too, but my office has air conditioning cranked up all day, so I freeze. I can handle the heat when I've been freezing all day!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home