My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 06, 2008

Dragon Avenger


Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

Book 4: Dragon Avenger by: E E Knight


Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Roc Trade (December 5, 2006)
ISBN-10: 045146109

Amazon: From Publishers Weekly.....
Knight chronicles the gritty coming-of-age story of the dragon Wistala (sister to Auron, from 2005's Dragon Champion) in the second Age of Fire novel. When her young family is betrayed and decimated by a clan of dwarfs while father AuRel is away, Wistala must carry the awful news north to him. But she finds AuRel badly wounded after running afoul of the very same dwarfs, and before she can nurse him back to health, a hunter called the Dragonblade kills him. Once again, Wistala must run for her life, vowing vengeance, even though she knows a year must pass before she's grown enough to carry out her revenge plan. Befriended by the elf Rainfall of Hypatia, she matures and gains the wisdom to temper her plans.


These Dragon books by Knight are different from any books on dragons I've read before. He certainly gets a plus for being so original.

All three of these books are divided into 3 parts. Hatchling (fairly new from the egg, cannot breath fire, has no wings), Drakka (growing in size and can now breath fire) and Dragonelle ( full use of first stomach and now has wings and can fly)

This book is about Wistala, sister of Auron, who escaped together when their family was killed by dwarfs. Wistala is a green dragon, and unlike her brother she has scales. (a normal dragon). When they escape Auron sends Wistala after her father who was seen escaping the caves but injured. Auron tells her to find him and together she stands a chance at surviving.

Wistala, finds her father and nurses him back to better health, but not full health before they are discovered and the dwarfs manage to kill the ailing father, while Wistala manages to escape.

This tale tells of her survival and the plans she has to avenge her families deaths. Along the way she is befriended by an Elf who becomes like a father to her. A large part of her life revolves around this Elf and the way she is treated by him and others. (lessons to be learned similar to hominid lessons)

I enjoyed this book. Again, I can't say it was something I couldn't put down, but it certainly held my interest .. enough so that I will be starting book 3 right away. Which should finish me for the Once Upon a Time Challenge for the 5th time.. if I can finish book 3 in time!! I do think I'm safe enough not to rush it.. if I finish in time, great.. if not.. hey 4 times ain't too shabby!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Four times ain't too shabby at all! Well done!

Indy was utterly brilliant... will e.mail soon and gush a bit. ;-) Grandson sitting today so not a lot of time.

6:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: well it looks like I will get the "last book" read in time lol so 5 times! But I think if most people counted all the books they've read since the challenge began they'd have read as many books (just not all fantasy).

7:49 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I never thought of it that way, Pat. You're probably right. I just finished the first Dragonlance book, btw! Really enjoyed it... just have to find a moment to review it now. Not today I'm thinking (family coming for lunch).

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home