My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Monday Photo Shoot

Karen over at Outpost Mâvarin does a little thing called "Monday Photoshoot", which she took over from John Scalzi when he left AOL... I don't generally do the photoshoot.. not for any particular reason I think I just don't care to do "certain things on certain days" but for whatever reason when I saw she was doing : I know that many of you read a lot of books, but what about magazines? Show us some magazines that are in your house right now. They can be recent purchases, subscriptions, or old stuff that you've kept for some reason, or all of the above! (If you don't have any magazines, a newspaper will do.) I knew I had a few stuck between some of my Binders that house my collection on DeForest Kelley and too convenient not to toss them on the bed and take a photo...


Golden Boot Awards- August 1999

Starlog- April 1997

Star Trek the Magazine- October 1999

Star Trek Communicator- 1999

Below is a snap of the article honoring De for a Golden Boot Award.

I remember De had a plaque hanging in the hall of his house,it had a pair of golden spurs on it.. given to him from his cowboy movies. (I think that was a Golden Spur Award, but I can't remember now) That would be surprising to some who don't know of De's Cowboy years before Star Trek came along.

I opened some of my binders with my collection on DeForest and I knew I had old magazines in them, so I just snapped the first few I came to . .. and didn't think to write down the dates of them ..ah well..

(Undiscovered Country came out in 1991.. so duh, guess that's the year of this one)

The 200th edition of Starlog Carolyn Kelley had given me.. you can still see the little sticky note on it from her telling me what page De is mentioned ..(too cute!)

(I don't have the date on this but note that Lucas and Spielberg don't have gray hair yet!)

(The Final Frontier came out in 1989 so that would be the year for this magazine)

There were many times and so many magazines out whenever Star Trek did something that I didn'tsave all the magazines in tact, some I just cut out the article and put that in the binder. But I do have a number old complete magazines in the collection!

As a reminder of "the old days" when I actively had my collection on DeForest going, my girlfriend Annie recently sent me a bunch of articles and covers about Harrison from the latest movie!... it made me smile... alot. I beautiful reminder of days gone by...

Which leads me right into................ Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.... which... I just came home from seeing at the movies!!! Yiiiiiihaaaaaaaaw!

I suppose you expect me to give a review of the movie.... nope. Not gunna do it. Not going to spoil anything for anyone... I will say one thing only (and I do admit I am VERY prejudice!)... Harrison Ford cannot disappoint!

Thank you Harrison for being Indy one more time!

13 Comments:

Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

Way cool! I knew you would have some good stuff, and you really do! Thanks for doing this. I especially like the Golden Boot, and that Starlog #200 with Carolyn's note.

2:52 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love old magazines that have some special meaning....I had such a collection of Movie Magazines from the 40'd....Well, operative word..."HAD"...Gone. Gone the way of so very many things I should have held on to....My Collection of Comic Books from the late 30's through the early 40's....Now THOSE would have brought me a fortune if I still had them.

These are GREAT Pat.....Just keep holding on to them my dear....They are precious.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh! Deforest Kelley was my second favourite after Spock (of course)....I longed to be more like Spock (thus he was my hero) but even at the tender age of 12 I knew I was much more like Dr MCCoy! Oh, it is such a thrill to see your magazines with him on it, Pat!
And Indy - my eldest son babysat yesterday afternoon so my husband and I could go out and see Indy and the Crystal Skull....*sigh* I won't say much except, I really enjoyed it. Very very good to see Indy again!!!!
Thanks Pat for the post!

7:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Karen: I more than likely have some older but I was kinda in a hurry to go to the movies lol.. But seeing your old ones was amazing!

Naomi: ahh to have my old OLD movie mags when I was a teenager!! little did we know to save them.. that and enough moving around thins out things quite a bit!

Susan: yep gots stuff on De alright! and I liked the Indy movie too!! It had more special effects than his other movies which actually was a bit of a disappointment (story is always better than effects) but Indy is Indy and Harrison is great at the character! I would go see him as Indy if he did it as a grandfather! Guess that means I like Harrison huh? heh..

7:35 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Those Star Trek mags certainly brought back a lot of memories. I had loads of those at one stage and used to wait avidly for the next month's edition to come out... not to mention all the other cult mags I used to buy.

And wow! you've seen Indy? We're going next week. Can't wait!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Great magazines. I often hold onto magazines like this and will occasionally purge the stack by going through and removing only those articles and pictures that I really cannot bear to part with.

You're right, Harrison (at least in this role) cannot disappoint, but as I replied to your comment on my site, it was so much less than what it could have been. I enjoyed it somewhat as I watched it but it all unraveled so quickly for me and that is sad because I am one of the most openminded and generous (forgiving) movie lovers I know. I almost always find a reason to enjoy a film. Thankfully Harrison's acting was enjoyable because he was given nothing to work with. He should get an Oscar nod just for that! :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: Harrison is still doing other "action parts".. they certainly didn't use him much this trip out. I would go for another Indy movie, even "bad" this one will outdo all the others for money I bet!

1:53 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: there have always been good magazines for sci fi and fantasy and I had many more, but we know how it goes when we make a few moves.. each time they seem to get expendable.. of course we always regret it.
Yep, saw Indy! some disappointments but I wouldn't have missed it for anything no matter what. All the disappointments are in the script.. Harrison was wonderful as always!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I agree, this one will certainly do big money!

It is unfortunate because I think many of Harrison's movie choices...or movie offerings, or whatever...have not been very good lately. He has certainly been in some awful films, ones that make the latest Indy film seem like an Oscar winner. At the very least I hope Indy's financial success opens the door for some better parts for him.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ohhhhh....I just love Harrison Ford!! The man was Indiana Jones AND Han Solo!! So cool!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

and now William Shatner has his book coming out "so far" I think.

He and Nimoy were not good friends at all.

I wonder what he has to say about DeForrest

1:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

stephanie: yeah! You can't get better than that!! haha

Pam: yes, I saw that. He's always had a co-writer (in other words he can't really write) .. haven't read it ..not sure I will, but that's an interesting question about DeForest. I might have to try to get to a book store and flip thru it lol

6:09 AM  
Blogger Kiva said...

What a jog down memory lane! I vaguely remembered that De was a character actor before becoming the Dr. I didn't know that he did a lot of Westerns. Learn something new every day.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home